What's new
What's new

Shopping for a 5 axis mill: DMG Monoblock 85 vs Okuma MU6300 vs Maatsura MAM 72, vs ?

The Makino 5 axis machines that are built on their horizontal castings either can’t go past 90 degrees of tilt (like the A500Z), or have super short z heights to accommodate the 5th axis.

When any company tries to build a 5 axis from their standard horizontal 4 axis platform, it’s really tricky to get the travels right and have everything line up for a pallet change. The double knuckle design from Makino is probably the best compromise, but it does have that very limited tilt range, which is a deal breaker for many.

Which Makino?

I like the brand, but outside of the MAG machines, their five axis options underwhelm. Machines like the A500Z have extremely limiting kinematics, and only fit specific product lines. Pretty outside the scope of this conversation IMHO.
I don't have a specific model in mind. Did not really look at the OP's specific need/part size and am not up to date on the current Makino range outside of the MAG series. My point was that if one wants to be sure that their machine to be well supported in later years, Makino, IME, will be easier to get the needed parts and support than the other machines listed.

As for the long tool. I'll offer one option that will probably make me laugh, but maybe it will save the topic author a couple of hundred thousand dollars.
And so, if only 1 or 2 long tools are used in the control program, and their length does not greatly exceed the standard maximum length of the tool, you can use the option from the picture below:

Long Tool.jpg

As promised a few more details on what we have coming:

DMU 95 monoBlock
Siemens 840D control
Speedmaster 20k spindle HSK 63A
120 tool magazine
Renishaw work probe
Blum Digilog tool probe/measurement
assorted other options (high pressure coolant, spray gun etc)

Still working out the details, but should be here in just a couple of weeks.

The Doosan machine has been pretty solid. We have replaced one spindle in in (mostly our fault). The replacement spindle cost $50,000 and cost us 5 days of down time while they did the work.

Is this cost for the DVF5000 that you referred to earlier? We are looking at adding true 5 axis capability soon and that is one of the machines we are looking at.

Is this cost for the DVF5000 that you referred to earlier? We are looking at adding true 5 axis capability soon and that is one of the machines we are looking at.
We paid about $300k back in Q4 of 2019. Not sure that that would run currently. 60 tools, through spindle coolant and 18k spindle.

The DVF5000 has a been a really solid machine. We crashed the spindle after 2 months and got it replaced. Other than that, no major issues.

We load parts into it with a UR robot and it routinely works 12 - 18 hour shifts unattended. Could go longer except the chips build up too much and block the door and the coolant tank starts getting a bit low.

We can hold +/- 0.0002 all day every day on some ~4 inch bores and bosses and +/- 0.0004 or flatness across two rails beds about 8 inches long and 6 inches apart.

Only thing we really don't like very well is the control. In my opinion, the Fanuc control just isn't very user friendly and it just feels like old/outdated tech compared to the other options.

I would recommend it if you have experience with Fanuc and/or patience and willingness to learn it and deal with its quirks.

We paid about $300k back in Q4 of 2019. Not sure that that would run currently. 60 tools, through spindle coolant and 18k spindle.

The DVF5000 has a been a really solid machine. We crashed the spindle after 2 months and got it replaced. Other than that, no major issues.

We load parts into it with a UR robot and it routinely works 12 - 18 hour shifts unattended. Could go longer except the chips build up too much and block the door and the coolant tank starts getting a bit low.

We can hold +/- 0.0002 all day every day on some ~4 inch bores and bosses and +/- 0.0004 or flatness across two rails beds about 8 inches long and 6 inches apart.

Only thing we really don't like very well is the control. In my opinion, the Fanuc control just isn't very user friendly and it just feels like old/outdated tech compared to the other options.

I would recommend it if you have experience with Fanuc and/or patience and willingness to learn it and deal with its quirks.

Reactions: mkd
Why not get TWO Mikron E700u with 7 pallet pool for that pricing???? 48Hp hsk63 with 20k will never leave you wanting. For a mid level 5 axis with automation, nobody can touch it, in my not so humble opinion.
If you want to scare your CMM guy with nominal dimensions everywhere, go for the P800u.
Edit sorry, didn't mean to dunk on the selection already made. Posted before reading the thread fully and didn't realize this was from 2022.
Carry on, I'll go back to the peanut gallery.

Last edited:

you can buys the doosans also with siemens and i think even with heidenhain

you can buys the doosans also with siemens and i think even with heidenhain
i wouldnt recommend it. you want to buy the machine the company makes most with that control. which for doosan is fanuc. if they're only doing one or 2 here and there, they wont have any of the bugs worked out.

although i only have a dnm500 model with a 4th axis and an 828d controller coupeld with a robojob working cell and it has been working great.
i cannot speak about 5 axis. but i think it also has a lot to do with the distributor
i am based in europe so most distributors have exp with siemens or hh maybe that is a factor to.

although i only have a dnm500 model with a 4th axis and an 828d controller coupeld with a robojob working cell and it has been working great.
i cannot speak about 5 axis. but i think it also has a lot to do with the distributor
i am based in europe so most distributors have exp with siemens or hh maybe that is a factor to.
that is a factor for sure, siemens/hh are a lot more common there than in the states.

Back