What's new
What's new

Optimal helix angle?

Cole2534

Diamond
Was CAM'ing some parts the other day and realized my default helix angle on entry is set to 2deg. That's great for an insert mill but leaves a lot on the table for a solid, center-cutting tool. I could plunge the tool, but a helix makes more sense to me.

So I ask- what helix angle do you guys find to be the best for say a 3fl cutter in 6061?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I almost always use 3deg. But we are typically using 1/8" and under tools. You could probably do alot better with a bigger tool. Also, min and max radius and size of tool compared to hole size also play into your helix angle, or ipr, depending on how you define your parameters. For example if helix boring a .07 hole with a 1/16th endmill would make a 3deg look like a corkscrew....

I usually go about 3-5 degrees in steel. But mind you, it all depends on the size of the hole and the face geometry of the EM.
We use Guhring Diver endmills for cutting keyways in 1045 and ramp in at 45 degrees and 20 IPM. No one else dares let us run their sample tools at that angle.....:popcorn:

Was CAM'ing some parts the other day and realized my default helix angle on entry is set to 2deg. That's great for an insert mill but leaves a lot on the table for a solid, center-cutting tool. I could plunge the tool, but a helix makes more sense to me.

So I ask- what helix angle do you guys find to be the best for say a 3fl cutter in 6061?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of variables to consider. In your scenario the ramp angle could be 10-15 deg.
I don't usually play with heavy ramp angles, I like to take smaller cuts but with the fastest speed and feed I can for the application.

Back