What's new
What's new

OT? What Items at Harbor Freight are Actually Worth Buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgfoster

Diamond
If this has been covered before, my apologies.

Background: Later this morning I am heading out to Harbor Freight to buy a small locking plier that I intend to heavily grind (basicly destroy) to make into a one-time-use soldering heat sink. I rarely darken their doorway as most of their stuff is not worth carrying home. But there are exceptions like the metal ammo boxes I used to weather-proof portable power supplies I use in my foundry. They are solidly made with a good seal and have stood up to 6+years of abuse.

1698932955573.pngAnd there is the little round "Pocket Blow Gun" that I have used daily (and love) for years.
1698933112384.png

I thought it might be useful to know what other folks have found to be of good quality and a good deal at the dreaded Harbor Freight. If this topic is not deemed up to the high standards of PM, then I am sure the mods will kill it and I am OK with that.

Denis

Nothing.

I have bought a few things over the years, and they have cost me a fortune in ruined parts and wasted time. Fortunately I've never been hurt by one of them breaking, but it was close once when I noticed some bare wires sticking out from a brand new biscuit jointer I got from there.

Us general lower boxes......great for next to cnc machine
I had a very limited use project and didn't want to drag all my Snap-On tools out.
So i bought a set of combination wrenches 3/8-13/16(?) for 11 bucks.
Worked just fine...LOL still have them.......

I'd much rather get NOS items on Fleebay or buy quality older equipment and clean it up.

Dunno how the Chinese can sell chit so cheap, I had a rear trunk latch quit on my VW a while back, about $400 from the dealer, bought a knock off on Amazon for $40 and it's working fine a year later.

Nothing.

I have bought a few things over the years, and they have cost me a fortune in ruined parts and wasted time. Fortunately I've never been hurt by one of them breaking, but it was close once when I noticed some bare wires sticking out from a brand new biscuit jointer I got from there.
Their gold plated ratchets.. I have a pair. Afraid to use them, I might scratch them. :crazy:
Yah, there have been hundreds/thousands of bellyaching comments. I gain little from reading more Harbor Freight bashing comments. I was looking to learn something useful.

I had a very limited use project and didn't want to drag all my Snap-On tools out.

I have one of the lower boxes and agree that it is reasonably good.

Denis

I buy emergency stuff from HF. If it's a tool and I use it a few times I'll buy a premium version online.

I'll admit having a HF in my little town has saved my butt a few times.

I have two of their lower boxes in my man cave. I use them as "kitchen cabinets". Wood top works great for cutting meat/veggies.

I built my garage and needed a hammer drill for bolting one wall to the floor. It was under 30 bucks and worked like a charm.

I have one of their electric hoists in my garage also. Works great for hanging deer, lifting the mower to clean the deck etc etc.

A few years ago, on the recommendation of a forum member I bought a hydraulic panel punch (like for electrical boxes). It came with a half-dozen punch/die sets and a re-seal kit too! On sale it was under $100. I've not used it extensively but it works very well. Just for fun I punched a 1.5" hole in a .125 thick A-36 flat. No problem, no damage.

I have occasionally needed some really large sockets to do farm work, and they had the right sizes. I also bought an impact driver there that seems to work fine so far. The simple things are probably safer to buy.

And in truth, I've gotten crappy American made stuff...nothing is a guarantee.

The magnetic paper towel holders are awesome. I have them all over the shop holding rolls of blue Scott wipers at every work area and machine. Their big dustpans are nice. The plastic organizer cases are nice. +1 for their nitrile and vinyl gloves.
Recently discovered that they have several grades of pliers, the top line pliers are pretty nice. HF is gradually upping their game.

Nylon cable ties. I use them by the hundreds to restrain stem bent banjo rim laminations. As good or better than McMaster.
Mechanics gloves. I lose them before they wear out, so I'm not sure how long they last.
Ditto on the set of combination wrenches, cheap enuf to have them hanging all over the shop

I have a set of HF tools I keep in the back end of the car for emergency use or get somewhere away from home and need to tear down a piece of machinery. Never know. I'm not worried about them if they get stolen out of the car either as if it was a bunch of my older American made tool. Just go buy another set.

Edit: Someone wants to borrow a tool, guess which ones they get to borrow...

I have a set of HF tools I keep in the back end of the car for emergency use or get somewhere away from home and need to tear down a piece of machinery. Never know. I'm not worried about them if they get stolen out of the car either
Picked up a set of combination wrenches and sockets for the tug

wheelhouse.jpg

because seawater and $100 wrenches don't mix ... they were as good as my snap-ons. And the $12 heat gun is a total winner, must have depainted hundreds of square feet with it, only burned myself once or twice. I loved that thing. Got some other stuff there too.

Harbor Freight can be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back