What's new
What's new

Oversize EE Steady Rest

I've had a request for STEP files so that they can be used to create a CNC program. I can provide these on request for anyone who wants/ needs them.

I received my castings today in a well bashed box. Box was beat to hell with a large gash in one side and masses of tape over it. The castings were blown off the end boards but intact - good packing job. Castings look good if not great.

I thought the whole "overhand" phase of USPS shipping ended 7 months ago.

I received my castings today in a well bashed box. Box was beat to hell with a large gash in one side and masses of tape over it. The castings were blown off the end boards but intact - good packing job. Castings look good if not great.

I thought the whole "overhand" phase of USPS shipping ended 7 months ago.
I have had several packages that were run over by a truck.

Sneebot
It sounds like your shipping packaging held up. As extra security if you grab some of the usps flat rate tyvac envelopes and put your taped up preparation in the tyvac envelope and inside the flat rate box, it will contain it if the box tears. I use to print on tyvac and it's tough. They throw packages.
I received some dualie tire chains in a flat rate box. The postmaster was pissed. He said those boxes weren't intended for that. Their add says if it fits we will ship it.

Sneebot
It sounds like your shipping packaging held up. As extra security if you grab some of the usps flat rate tyvac envelopes and put your taped up preparation in the tyvac envelope inside the flat rate box it will contain it if the box tears. I use to print on tyvac and it's tough. They throw packages.
I received some dualie tire chains in a flat rate box. The postmaster was pissed. He said those boxes weren't intended for that. Their add says if it fits we will ship it.

Each casting is tie-wrapped to a piece of plywood- one piece against the bottom and one against the top of the box. I used copious amounts of tape to reinforce the boxes. I'll look into the Tyvek envelopes as well.

Each casting is tie-wrapped to a piece of plywood- one piece against the bottom and one against the top of the box. I used copious amounts of tape to reinforce the boxes. I'll look into the Tyvek envelopes as well.

The tie wraps were all broken. Those USPS guys are serious when they toss a package.

I'd suggest maybe a few wraps of the glass fiber tape. That's always kept things together for me.

My package arrived yesterday with the box intact and 3 zip ties broken. However everything inside was fine. Packaging job was sufficient to get it all the way to Sturgis South Dakota. Thank you sir!

My steady also arrived in an intact box. It looks even better than the photos--well done!

Like others a couple zip ties had broken but nothing was moving around. I'm very happy with these castings. Thanks Sneebot!

Several heavy items I’ve received have been plastic wrapped around the part and the plywood bottom. I expect the shrink wrap is cheaper than heavy duty tie wraps.

Received my castings yesterday, about half the zip ties didn't make it, but the rest of the packaging saved the day!
Thanks for taking on this project, the castings look great!

Kevin

These look really good! I need to make some steady rests for my 14" Whitcomb Blaisdell and was going to go the plate-steel route and cut them to get at least a full 12" diameter piece through them. It's always good to see castings made to fill holes like this!

50312797771_07d54e7d64_z.jpg
[/url]10942F49-DCE2-4C79-9501-4C3FEC35C57E_1_201_a by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mine arrived, and I am impressed!
Zero voids, unlike OEM Monarch castings! :eek: Included plans for every single part needed. :cloud9:

It's clear that Snebot took a lot of care in modeling these steady rest parts to get ready for casting. It shows that some of these machine parts or accessories that are hard to find can be cast at a reasonable cost.
I hope Snebot is rewarding himself $ well for his effort.
I'm guessing the more you get cast the cost is less. Getting the supply and demand figures right is the hard part.
If I didn't have one I would be ordering one of the last four. Nice castings

Thanks for sharing your progress.
I enjoy the quality of your work.
Does this rest have a cam lock clamp system?

Halfway

Back