What's new
What's new

Oxidation or burning on Makino SP43?

LockNut

Stainless
We have a Makino SP43 wire. We are cutting a ratchet shape in 6 mm tubing. It is causing a brownish and/or purplish discoloration on the parts. What could be causing this? I have been around wire EDM's fo a very long time, just never ran them till now. The discoloration comes off with scotchbrite but it is scaring the hell out of management. Any help? These parts will also be electropolished, but still would like to eliminate this problem.

Paul

Paul,

Please give Makino Technical Support a call at 888-MAKINO4 (625-4664) and ask to speak with EDM Applications. Depending on the material type, process, and settings being used, there are a couple of different items to consider in improving or eliminating this condition. Has this condition existed before, or is this something that has recently started happening?

-Brian

Brian,
I just started here a week ago. Nobody here is really familiar with wire EDM. They have been kind of winging it. This discoloration happens quite bit. Material is 304 stainless.

Paul,

I understand your situation, and I recommend you start with reading through the Training Workbook to learn the machine. You can also attend one of our training classes held at one of our facilities. Please check Makino's website, and look under Customer Support for our training schedule.

Please give me a call at your convenience, and we can discuss corrective measures for your parts.

(248)-921-2474

-Brian

I guess in my post I forgot some important info. This is 304 stainless tube, .250 OD and .050 wall thickness. They are held in a fixture that runs 20 parts at a time, mounted vertically in "V" shaped slots. Nozzles are about 6" apart and the whole setup is submerged. The area around the cut is coming out a light brown to light blue. It seems like surface discoloration because it does come off. It's hard to imagine if these get that hot being submerged. Still wondering what is causing this and how to make it go away.

Back