What's new
What's new

Peerless Power Hacksaw

Andy Duft

Plastic
Hello all
New to this forum, my first post.
I just acquired an ancient Peerless power hacksaw I hope to restore. Gorgeous machine, built just 50 km away from me in Guelph Ontario. I was hoping someone can help me identify the model and perhaps provide some diagrams. Comparing it to what little I can find online it appears to be missing some (or all) of the clutch mechanism that engages the blade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!!
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    732.5 KB · Views: 29
That's an interesting looking saw.
I think that dog clutch arrangement was fairly common on hacksaws when they were driven with flat belts from the line shaft.
My father had one that was different than that a long time ago .
Some pictures from behind the large pulley on the crank shaft might help someone describe the type of cam plate needed to restore your clutch .
The handle when pulled forward would likely have rotated a plate running free on the crankshaft that would have through a cam action forced the pulley over into the outer clutch dog.
There would have been some levers that moved the handle back when the cut was completed but they are not visible in any pictures I looked at so could have been underneath the main casting .
The pictures you posted show that the coil spring between the large pully and the outer clutch dog is missing so the clutch is probably locked in the engaged position .
There were very similar saws sold under the McKenzie and Perfect brands.
There may be some connection between all 3 but it would probably require some research .
There are some McKenzie links you could check out in this older thread if they still work .
Unfortunately none of them show the detail of the clutch cam behind the large pulley
Maybe the Guelph historical society would have some information even if nothing turned up on their search page.
I think this museum had a collection of information on old machinery as well so you might see if someone there can add something .
Jim

Hey Jim
Thank you for that detailed reply. I was going to contact the Guelph Archives. Your suggestion about the Hamilton Steam Museum I hadn’t thought of. Also, thanks for the other links, very helpful.

I did find this 2015 post on this forum. An identical saw to mine and fully restored. I reached out to the author, but being so old I don’t expect a response.

Attached are a few additional photos of the “dog clutch” region including one from underneath. Also from the above link, hope I didn’t violate any copyrights 😬

I very much appreciate you getting back to me. This looks to,be a fun little project to get this saw operational. My intention is to use it in my shop.

Kindest regards,
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7