What's new
What's new

Qualchem 250 splitting......I need an alternative.

Kawgomoo

Cast Iron
Please Help. Ive been running Qualchem 250 for the past 8 or so years. Bought a new machine in 2019. Ever since had nothing but problems with Qualchem splitting out of solution.

Star rep took a sample from the machine and replaced the product. {replacement split too} Never got an answer back on the sample analysis. Its been a year of badgering with no answer except "Your solution is too lean" i keep it between 5 and 10% closer to 10% as evaporation is my biggest issue here in the desert.

Coolant is separating. Rust spots all over the machine. I am sole owner/operator.

Can someone please recommend a coolant and possibly a distributor. Located in phoenix but mail order is fine. Star is off my list.

I run 250C in six machines and was very happy for the first year or so but over the last year and a half have seen splitting issues arise. Most of the machines get pumped out and the sumps cleaned (aluminum fines) about twice a year and the coolant filtered and pumped back in. 8% is the target on concentration. I just figure that coolant like everything else has gone to shit from the pandemic and they are having to tweak the mix to get something out the door. After everything settles down when this crap is over I am going to look at the options.

the splitting issue for me began before the pandemic so i dont think thats it. ive been hearing complaints of the splitting from others since at least 2016. Can anyone recomend a good coolant? Trim, Blaser? I have no experience with these others. I just need a coolant that will stay in solution. Im all ears for recomendations!

I also had one bucket of 250 concentrate turn into what looks like peanut butter after about a year of storage.

I had this issue with 290C after using it for years without issue. Got a 5gal bucket that split right away. Never went away no matter what I tried. Ended up swapping to a new bucket of 250C and haven’t had an issue but the bu key is maybe two years old.

Possibly a bad batch. Most Qualichem reps will replace it if it happens. At least mine does in SoCal.

Have 585XT in a Fadal for close to 6-7 years, still ok, aerate everyday, used to skim regularly (skimmer needs fixing) it's still ok.

Haven't noticed any change in formula over the years.

Form tapping small threads in 6061 needs a higher concentration then I normally run (7.5%) Could also be crap aluminum I'm getting

Have 585XT in a Fadal for close to 6-7 years, still ok, aerate everyday, used to skim regularly (skimmer needs fixing) it's still ok.

Haven't noticed any change in formula over the years.

Form tapping small threads in 6061 needs a higher concentration then I normally run (7.5%) Could also be crap aluminum I'm getting

I agree, the Trim 585 XT is awesome coolant.

Rustlick ULTRACUT PRO not the CF stuff.
Been using for years now only thing that stops my parts from rusting.
MRO Supply

I'll throw in another vote for trim microsol. I ran 585xt for a couple of years and it was great. I'm in central AZ (Prescott), and until recently machine was in the garage (no ac) and I didn't have any issues with heat affecting the coolant. I did end up switching to 692xt about a year ago. It is as good or better than the 585xt, but rejects tramp oil better, and my mill goes through a lot of way oil so that was important to me. No rust issues, machine stays clean, taps good in steel, stainless, and aluminum, all at about 6-7%. Been real happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've used Xtreme cut 231 for quite a while and it worked really well.
However, If I couldn't use it, my vote would be for Trim XT.
Blaser is good but VERY expensive, I think.

Got my machine in 2019. Been running trim 685. No problems yet. Cut mostly 6061 Aluminum, 304ss,303ss,316ss, acetal,peek,ultem. Machine never sits more than a week. Also have a high evaporation rate in Austin heat. 7% is my goto target concentration.

Lately, the 251C I've been getting has had a different visual appearance but performance hasn't changed. Chemtool burned down in Rockford and I'm 99% that caused the additives shortage and subsequent supply issues for Qualichem. I've had to shop around to find it in stock.

I am very surprised because I worked used oil / wastewater and 250C and 251C were routinely the emulsions we found the most difficult to crack and they never came in settled out.

How's your water hardness? What did you use to fill the new machine and what do you use for top-offs?

Your water is probably too hard, can't believe your distributor hasn't focused on that.

Castrol makes some kick-ass synthetics. We got some a couple years ago from a company that shut down, and it has performed flawlessly.

The founders of Qualichem use to work for Castrol...

ToolCat

I run Hangsterfer's 5080, mixed with DI or distilled water. Never an issue. It can sit for weeks, never stink or separate. Can go years without changing it out.

We used to run Qualichem 250 also and had the same kind of problems, along with muck in the machines. Have switched to Castrol HYSOL MB50 and had good results with coolant life and cleanliness, along with less carry out. We cut a lot of alloy steels and stainless steels, along with aluminum and plastics. The only thing we noticed as far as tool life or issues is tapping if the concentration is not up on the high end in stainless can be an issue. I think that would be common to most of todays general purpose soluble oils. I have also noticed it seems better at rejecting the tramp and hydraulic oils that get in the bar fed machines.

Back