What's new
What's new

Question about the big Schaublin-102VM lathe

You're absolutely right! After thoroughly cleaning and lubricating the bed, the saddle now moves smoothly without any issues, making it unnecessary and risky to scrape the ways. However, I have decided to proceed with the removal of the motor, belt, pump, carriage, and other components. This will allow me to fine-tune the adjustable parts and replace any simple components as a proactive maintenance measure. While everything is disassembled, I plan to take advantage of the opportunity to apply body filler to areas that require it. My ultimate objective is to restore the machine to its original color through repainting. I should note that I will not be removing the headstock, as I understand it is considered almost a crime against humanity due to its importance and significance in the functioning of the machine.
If you are going to remove the motor, etc, this would be an ideal time to replace the motor to run on a more easily available power supply.
I don't know the details of the Montreal power supply, but in the States, 220 volt single phase is the norm for domestic supply.
Maybe your best option, if I'm correct on the 220 volts, would be to get a 3-phase 220 volt motor (easily available) and a quality VFD, such as a Fuji, to power your lathe.
Bob

Post a photo of the motor nameplate when you can. It might possibly be re-wired for a lower voltage. It's a two speed motor but a 240 volt 3phase motor run off a VFD will emulate that very nicely.

If you are going to remove the motor, etc, this would be an ideal time to replace the motor to run on a more easily available power supply.
I don't know the details of the Montreal power supply, but in the States, 220 volt single phase is the norm for domestic supply.
Maybe your best option, if I'm correct on the 220 volts, would be to get a 3-phase 220 volt motor (easily available) and a quality VFD, such as a Fuji, to power your lathe.
Bob
I am thinking about a servo

couple weeks now bit cleaner

Attachments

• IMG_6553.jpeg
    IMG_6553.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6557.jpeg
    IMG_6557.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6559.jpeg
    IMG_6559.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6560.jpeg
    IMG_6560.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6562.jpeg
    IMG_6562.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
The mounted tool holder looks like someone was using it for a spindle brake. Some of the MT shanks look like someone used Vise-Grips on them. Otherwise it looks good.

couple weeks now bit cleaner
I’m a bit late to this thread but the similarities to my Simonnet DZ450 is remarkable. The accessories are lovely to have too. The Tripan tool post is a joy, I have made my own tool post grinder to fit, very satisfying. I concur with the other posters as to price. The W series collets can also be fitted with an adjustable depth stop which fits up the thread end. Handy if you have several parts the same to set up. Btw, have you seen the vast archive of information at lathes.co.uk and Anglo-swiss-tools.co.uk both very useful.

Back