What's new
What's new

Questions about Toledo scale

maynah

Stainless
I picked up a Toledo "lollipop" scale and have some questions. I have contacted Mettler Toledo but they had no information about these old scales. It weighs up to 500 lbs. on the clock face and another 300 on the balance beams for a total of 800 lbs. These are all my terms, I don't know what they're really called. There is a lever down under the 6 o'clock position that locks and holds the moving parts for when the scale is transported and you should probably use it when not in use too. When I picked it up the scale worked when I weighed myself. That locking lever worked but was sloopy and just didn't feel right. I had to tie it to the locked position so it would stay in place.
When I got home the scale won't unlock. But the strange thing is that lever snaps neatly in and out of position, feels much better now. It does unlock the beams but not the clock face. The clock face needle is also touching the face at the point, like it's in transport mode, the hand can't move.

There is a oil filled dashpot inside the rear housing that is I think a dampener. That makes a air sucking sound as the piston moves up and down. I didn't notice that sound when I first looked at it. The first thing I want to do is fill that dashpot up and see if that makes a difference. The next is check the linkages from the platform and make sure everything is attached and free moving.

I have seen a reference to a booklet called "Setting up and adjusting" your scale, but can't find one. Mettler Toledo didn't have it and couldn't even tell me if it existed.
So my questions are does anyone have any helpful information or experience with these platform scales?
What oil should I use to fill the dashpot? It's the round object on the right in the last picture. What's in it now smells exactly like neatsfoot oil. It only holds about 3 or 4 ozs.
I have DTE heavy medium ISO 68, Velocite medium No. 10 spindle oil, way oil, and tractor hydraulic fluid.
Any thoughts are appreciated. This is frustrating because I was thinking for once I'm bringing something home I can put right to use without having to do anything to it.

IMG_1832 - Copy.jpgIMG_1833 - Copy.jpgIMG_1814 - Copy.jpg

I just took a quick look and found this book .
If nobody else has the exact info you are looking for maybe this will be of some help.
In put Toledo in the Search this Text box for more results if the link doesn't give them to you.
Jim
P.S. a little off the main topic but this link shows some older Fairbanks Scales
It turned up in my original search

Last edited:
I think I found the unlocking problem. A bit of the linkage had dropped free. Looks like a jam nut was not tightened and came loose. The nut by my thumb should be up and tight.
Writing says “sharpened all pivots, cleaned and adjusted, 8-1-58. C L K
The spring thaw in Maine is also known as pothole, (and mud), season. The ride home must have been more bumpy than I realized.

Any thoughts about what oil to use?

IMG_1834.jpegIMG_1835.jpegIMG_1836.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't worry about the oil.Any non corrosive oil 10/40 weight or hydraulic oil will work.It's just a damper. obviously you don't want any thing to heavy and nothing with an EP additive in case there any red metal parts. Looks to be just a cast iron canister.

Back