What's new
What's new

Questions about very old magnetic drill Black and Decker

4gvn62yg

Plastic
Hello.
I am from Europe and I recently bought this old magnetic drill, because it was cheap. There is no text left on it, but I have identified it as Black and Decker 741 or 1554. So, 50 years old american drill on 220 volts. It works, did not test only second speed. I started to disassemble it slowly, to clean it and see what has to be repaired. I found the manual, but it does not help me. I am new to these things, so I wanted to ask some questions.
  1. Do I need to worry about the welded top part of the chuck?
  2. What kind of grease to put inside the gearbox? Have not opened it yet.
  3. Can the magnet be disassembled? I do not find how. Maybe this scratched thing on the bottom can be removed?
  4. Magnet is on 220 volts DC? Or maybe the motor too? Bulbs seem to be 125 volts.
  5. Is there point to me replacing this old wiring now with something more modern, in case it fails and I cannot find the components? Not sure if I can even find anything now...
  6. The motor was slowly moving down alone, when it was mounted on the column. This can probably be fixed. I see 2 big and 2 small bolts on the back, where it mounts. The small bolts I think would tighten it more to the column. The big bolts I do not know. The hole of one of them continues on the inner side of the mounting, but the other bolt does not have this.
  7. Does someone have parts diagram?

Hello.
I am from Europe and I recently bought this old magnetic drill, because it was cheap. There is no text left on it, but I have identified it as Black and Decker 741 or 1554. So, 50 years old american drill on 220 volts. It works, did not test only second speed. I started to disassemble it slowly, to clean it and see what has to be repaired. I found the manual, but it does not help me. I am new to these things, so I wanted to ask some questions.
  3. Can the magnet be disassembled? I do not find how. Maybe this scratched thing on the bottom can be removed?
  4. Magnet is on 220 volts DC? Or maybe the motor too? Bulbs seem to be 125 volts.
  5. Is there point to me replacing this old wiring now with something more modern, in case it fails and I cannot find the components? Not sure if I can even find anything now...
  6. The motor was slowly moving down alone, when it was mounted on the column. This can probably be fixed. I see 2 big and 2 small bolts on the back, where it mounts. The small bolts I think would tighten it more to the column. The big bolts I do not know. The hole of one of them continues on the inner side of the mounting, but the other bolt does not have this.
I was using one of those dinosaurs 2 days ago! The one I was using runs on 110v AC. I would be concerned about the weld repair,it looks pretty crude. Any light weight grease will be fine. I would not try to take the magnet apart. The scratched thing is the magnet, clean it up a bit with some scotch brite. Don't worry about the scratches as they don't hurt anything. Store it standing on a oiled piece of wood. If the wiring is still flexible I would leave it alone. I don't know about the big bolts, the small ones will tighten it around the column. The one I was using has so much wear on the it would bind near the top and had about .015 clearance at half travel. Good luck on the parts diagram, there is no documentation on the one I was using.

Hello.
1. welded chuck - if it runs true enough I would leave it. Looks like a taper type with a space for a wedge to remove it.
2. grease - Old equipment usually does not require special grease. Any general purpose type should be ok
3. magnet - The coil is probably potted in place with glue and not removable.
5. wiring - looks like pvc and the insulation is not cracking. see how flexible it is.

Thank you for the advices. Yes, it is dinosaur, very very heavy... I guess I will leave the magnet like this. Hopefully nothing electrical stops working, because parts seem to be impossible to find. At least the chuck is on morse taper, which is why I wanted it, so it is easy to replace. The wiring seemed okay to me, but I will check more carefully. Someone has replaced the connector on the back of the base, that goes to the motor, so I need to fix that.

This MAY help,file:Black&Decker%20Mag%20Base%20wire%20schematic.pdf. I've got 3 of them dinosaurs,and wouldn't part with any of them.
In your third pic.from the left, At the top of your wireing, Inside of the magnet controls, There's a little black [chip] [RECTIFIER] that changes your AC into DC for your magnet, That's the older style,the newer ones
have push on connectors and aren't soldered in. Those rectifiers die pretty often. I didn't like the suggestion of keeping the magnet on an oiled up board, A lot of people have gotten hurt with a magnet breaking loose under power: They really don't need and help with oil.
And always stick your magnet on as least a 1/4" plate of steel it needs mass under the magnet, If you put it on sheet metal they can and will come loose. Dave [ACME THREAD}

This MAY help,file:Black&Decker%20Mag%20Base%20wire%20schematic.pdf. I've got 3 of them dinosaurs,and wouldn't part with any of them.
In your third pic.from the left, At the top of your wireing, Inside of the magnet controls, There's a little black [chip] [RECTIFIER] that changes your AC into DC for your magnet, That's the older style,the newer ones
have push on connectors and aren't soldered in. Those rectifiers die pretty often. I didn't like the suggestion of keeping the magnet on an oiled up board, A lot of people have gotten hurt with a magnet breaking loose under power: They really don't need and help with oil.
And always stick your magnet on as least a 1/4" plate of steel it needs mass under the magnet, If you put it on sheet metal they can and will come loose. Dave [ACME THREAD}
Thanks, but I think you did not upload the file correctly. Also.. you have 3?! Haha.

Thanks, but I think you did not upload the file correctly. Also.. you have 3?! Haha.
:http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4914
[4g] Try this address for Vintage machinery, This is where I found my manual. It's listed in there as a [Black&Decker magnetic base drill press],about 1975 vintage,towards the bottom of the list. I figued out how to rewire mine from the print in this manual. Dave [acme thread]

Back