What's new
What's new

Questions on clipping internal acme on an Okuma LB4000

hheych

Plastic
Hello,

I cut a lot of internal threads that are usually for oilfield applications; these sometimes require a blunt start thread or clipped thread. I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips on a go to method for this. Usually its trial and error with some layout fluid until we start to see a scratch, then adjustments are made to achieve the desired result (seemingly stumbling across it) which is quite time consuming.

I run an Okuma LB4000 EXII with an OSP-P300L controller
When clipping, i am using a grooving insert that is .250 wide.

This is a 8" internal 3 acme thread so quite coarse (grooving tool might not be wide enough for good results). I'm using a G71 threading cycle that has been copied over to the grooving tool, with the Z end distance adjusted, as well as the z approach distance adjusted for synching properly (adjusting the cut from the start of the partial thread, usually a multiple of the pitch).

Here is an example of the the threading line:
G0 Z.6
G71 X8.85 Z-3.3 A0. B29 H.3533 D.03 U0. F.333 M32 M75

And the clipping line:
G0 Z.4335 (adjusted to move the initial contact point of the thread)
G71 X8.85 Z-1.1665 B29 H.3533 D.08 U0 F.333 M32 M23 M75

I'm using the M23 auto chamfer pull out as well.

Shouldn't it be as easy as knowing the pullout length (which i believe is the pitch if not denoted by an L value)
Knowing the pitch/lead
Knowing where the thread starts
Adjusting Z start and finish amounts for the desired result?

I feel there should be "simple" parameters based off these values i just cant wrap my head around it haha.

If anyone has any tips or ideas that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Last edited:
Um. Define "clipping."
Hello,

Clipping is just another term for blunt starting a thread to deter from cross threading. Similar to a higby just doesnt require any technical dimensions.

Removing the first feathered thread roughly up to the start of the full thread form.

Thanks!

Hello,

Clipping is just another term for blunt starting a thread to deter from cross threading. Similar to a higby just doesnt require any technical dimensions.

Removing the first feathered thread roughly up to the start of the full thread form.

Thanks!
Ahh. Ok. Got it.

If you have live tooling and C axis it is pretty simple to do it other than that it is some trial and error to line up to the two tools to single point it

Usually I just copy the threading cycle, adjust the start point by half a pitch, measure how far in I want the clip to go for an end point and tweak to get it perfect from there.

Back