What's new
What's new

Replacement hand wheel grip?

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
The Y axis handwheel on my K&T 2HL is missing the grip. I don't expect to find an OEM replacement, but would like to find something the at least has a similar appearance to the others on the machine. The hole is ~5/16". The handle on the Z axis crank is about 2.75" long. I suspect that the Y axis would be the same size.

I looked on McMaster and couldn't find anything that was similar. Doesn't have to be exact, just close enough. I ordered a couple of pieces from Amazon, but I don't expect to be very happy with them, but I'd like to see them first. They are both threaded, whereas the hand wheel is not.

Any thoughts on where I could find something that's at least close if not indistinguishable from the others?

IMG_9344.jpeg

For reference:

Attachments

• IMG_9343.jpeg
    IMG_9343.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9
Well you can't find a handle like yours because the company that made them- Balcrank, went out of business. The Chinese did a great job making five dollar handles in the early 2000's, that were ugly but cheap. I continued to buy Balcranks at about fifty bucks apiece, until they quit making them around 2005. NOW the Chinese handles are still ugly but sell for way more money.

I ended up having patterns made that duplicated the Balcranks, cast iron round handles, and machine the three ball style handles on my CNC lathe. I think most of the machine tool makers were using Balcranks handles. A Bridgeport handle for the knee is probably the same size and shape as your K & T. I machine my handles out of stainless steel, to save on the hassles of chrome plating. The handle is completely polished in my CNC before I cut it off. I DON'T sell them individually but make them for the machines I manufacture. I REFUSE to buy Chinese junk. Maybe the next time I run a few handles, I'll make MORE so people can buy an exact copy of the original Balcranks- except even better, since the chrome won't ever peal off.

Doh! I never thought to even look at the handles on my BP! Those are really, really close. Close enough to see what I can find on the interwebs.

I'm looking at the handle in your picture- it looks like you have the NON- rotating handles. Is that correct? If I was smart enough to get a picture posted, you'd be amazed at my box of fully polished handles that are already made. Your 5/16ths dimension is the size I use for my small ball crank handles, But they're not as long as the handles that are on my cast iron handwheels. The larger handles that match the handwheels have a bigger diameter than 5/16ths. I'll take a look.

Your handle is certainly SMALL for a cast iron handwheel. The handles on my Bridgeport are ALL longer and bigger than the 2 3/4 long with 5/16ths shank size.
The handles I make twenty or thirty at a time are 5/16ths mounts- two and a half inches long. Maybe your cast iron handwheel in the picture is small= like four inches
in diameter??

Rotating handles is more work. Especially when it looks like there's no cap at the outside of the handle to insert the axle. The handles that rotate that DON'T have the cap, have the axle fixed from the inboard side with some sort of punch that crimps over the metal at 90 degree increments. I haven't tried to duplicate one of those.
Considering the demand for handles in America, since there's hardly any machine tool manufacturers that use lead screws, it should be no surprise they're hard to find.

MyLilMule,
we cast aluminun replacement handles and hand wheels routinely for these Lodge and Shipley's we have refurbished. If you can come up with a wood pattern or an accurate drawing of that size, we may have a couple laying around that were left over. Send a PM if I can help out.
Johnny

"we cast aluminum replacement handles and hand wheels routinely for these Lodge and Shipley's " I can see castings for the hand wheels, but the handles?
To machine a handle in a CNC lathe takes less than two minutes from solid material. Any radius of curve. Scary fast. I had patterns for four step pulleys, but the castings cost more, and were more time consuming than just machining the entire pulley from a solid bar.

The castings for my four inch, 5 inch and 10 inch handwheels, are relatively expensive for cast iron. I think my 10 inch handwheels are ninety dollars now. This stuff is getting really expensive. I've seen some pretty nice aluminum handwheels!

Your handle is certainly SMALL for a cast iron handwheel. The handles on my Bridgeport are ALL longer and bigger than the 2 3/4 long with 5/16ths shank size.
The handles I make twenty or thirty at a time are 5/16ths mounts- two and a half inches long. Maybe your cast iron handwheel in the picture is small= like four inches
in diameter??

Rotating handles is more work. Especially when it looks like there's no cap at the outside of the handle to insert the axle. The handles that rotate that DON'T have the cap, have the axle fixed from the inboard side with some sort of punch that crimps over the metal at 90 degree increments. I haven't tried to duplicate one of those.
Considering the demand for handles in America, since there's hardly any machine tool manufacturers that use lead screws, it should be no surprise they're hard to find.
It's off a 2HL, which is a small machine. That wheel is 7.5" in diameter.

Might check with Hugh’s Machinery who has a lot of k&t parts, if you haven’t already.

I have already sent him an email. Waiting for a reply. I also contacted Parts-n-parts.

MyLilMule,
we cast aluminun replacement handles and hand wheels routinely for these Lodge and Shipley's we have refurbished. If you can come up with a wood pattern or an accurate drawing of that size, we may have a couple laying around that were left over. Send a PM if I can help out.
Johnny

I can't see casting one to be a cost effective solution for me. It doesn't have to be exact. As much as I would like to return this 80 year old machine back to complete OEM specs, it's not high on my priority list.

On one hand, I just need a functional handle for the wheel. On the other hand, I'd like it to at least resemble the ones on the X and Z cranks. Making one from scratch or having one cast, although not bad ideas at all, I just don't have the bandwidth or the budget for that. This is for my home hobby machine shop - I make $0.00 on anything I do in here. Everything is for either myself, friends, family, etc. I've never charged for anything. No one would pay me anyway. ;)

The Y axis handwheel on my K&T 2HL is missing the grip. I don't expect to find an OEM replacement, but would like to find something the at least has a similar appearance to the others on the machine. The hole is ~5/16". The handle on the Z axis crank is about 2.75" long. I suspect that the Y axis would be the same size.

I looked on McMaster and couldn't find anything that was similar. Doesn't have to be exact, just close enough. I ordered a couple of pieces from Amazon, but I don't expect to be very happy with them, but I'd like to see them first. They are both threaded, whereas the hand wheel is not.

Any thoughts on where I could find something that's at least close if not indistinguishable from the others?

View attachment 383661

For reference:
You might try these people. I’ve bought handwheels from them before. They are cast iron and high quality. I think they may have the style you are looking for. I’ve included a couple of pictures of handwheels on my Pacemaker and Sago mill. I replaced the revolving handles on these.

https://www.elco-inc.com/products/cast-iron-handwheels/

IMG_0820.jpg IMG_0821.jpg

You might try these people. I’ve bought handwheels from them before. They are cast iron and high quality. I think they may have the style you are looking for. I’ve included a couple of pictures of handwheels on my Pacemaker and Sago mill. I replaced the revolving handles on these.

https://www.elco-inc.com/products/cast-iron-handwheels/

View attachment 383691 View attachment 383692
It's not exact, but the FR-1 is close enough that I think it will work. Need to call them and see if I can buy just one.

THANKS!

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 10.05.33 PM.png

Mule, I will check for those leftovers I have if you strike out on your contacts. My retired fire chief buddy does all the casting work; he will pull every hand wheel, handle, clutch handle, knob, etc off these machines as we service them and make good pattern reproductions so we have them for future projects. Amazing how nice some of that aluminum casting comes out. Good luck with your search!!

talked with these guys at the local fabtech, they have a handle on handles and levers

Pretty much what is available on McMaster. The ones at ELCO, at least based on the drawing, are what I want. If they'll ever call me back or reply to my email. lol

The Z crank for comparison. The handle I ended up with was from ELCO. It was only $16, but I didn't realize it was going to be $17 to ship it until after it shipped. Oh well, c'est la vie. It's a close enough match, although it's a bit smaller. It'll do just fine I suppose.

IMG_9400.jpeg

Way late on your part needs, but fixture component companies such as those mentioned above include Carr-Lane, Reid, United Drill Bushing, TECO, Jergens are my go-to for many such kinds of hardware; NOT the distributors if they can be avoided (not counting McMaster-Carr and them only, insert multiple symbols of admiration here).

Back