What's new
What's new

Securing mill to trailer deck- what sort of straps?

stoneaxe

Stainless
To bind a mill or any other equipment to a trailer or truck deck , assuming of course there are good tie down rings-

Obviously something has to secure it down, and there needs to be something to keep it from tipping, and something to keep it from sliding-

Chains seem like a good way to damage the cargo- a wood board could be used as a cushion- But how about those truckers straps? Do they have too much stretch?

Any suggestions for small mill, 3000 pounds or so?

Two inch x 3000# ratchets don't stretch.
(Neither doo the 4" ones either)

If you are talking about a knee mill, I like to either put a strap around the top and pull both ways with 2 straps, or maybe just wrap the one strap all the way around the ram once and then over to the other side.

Blocking in with 2bys is always good as well.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For a knee mill I run a binder chain across the base with a board to keep it from touching. I then use four 2" straps and route each around the body and then to the trailer/bed in four directions. That way no matter which way it tries to move it's fighting a strap. You can easily tension them opposite one another so that the RF strap is pulled tight by the LR, etc. The last time I did that I drove 75 miles over terribly maintained roads and the mill didn't move an inch in any direction. In fact, there were professional riggers moving equipment when I picked up the mill and they walked over to see if I needed any help. They took one look and said "that's not going anywhere!" and walked away.

I've used the same setup for a large drill press, 50lb blacksmith power hammer (over 2,000lbs) and on a smaller scale the little Clausing 8520 pictured below...no real chance for anything to move.

Using just one strap front and one strap rear won't keep it from moving sideways.

thumbnail.jpeg

I generally tie down 5 ways. Four directions with straps and from the back with a heavy chain in case of an emergency stop. I like to cover any chains used with a piece if bicycle inner tube. Since I move my machines in a trailer with a wood bed I also secure around the base with chunks of 2x4 screwed to the floor. That way it can't slide.

Make sure you lower the table and head as much as possible to lower the center of gravity. Also secure any covers , and small bolted pieces as things like to vibrate loose and blow off. Even better, wrap it in plastic or a tarp.

Personally, I use both chains and straps. Some cardboard or carpet will pad the chains. I tie the chains front and back and put straps on each side so it's not going anywhere.

Once somebody had rolled a trailer with a backhoe going around a corner. The trailer was up in the air, still securely fastened to the backhoe. I try to keep that in mind as an example when securing loads.

Not a fan of chains for holding machinery down. If the pad is thick enough to ensure there can never be any possibility of metal to metal contact it's likely to be so thick that it's squidgy largely negating the inherent stiffess of a chain. As Ox says 2 (or 4) inch ratchet straps don't stretch despite a tiny bit of residual elasticity that helps absorb any shock stress. For me straps should be tight but not bandsaw blade level tension.

Four way restraint as in the picture from G-ManBart is plenty to stop it walking. When I shifted my Bridgeport I fixed some timber H frames under each end of the table and bought the knee down to lightly trap them against the trailer floor with straps over the table so the machine couldn't rock. Base was spiked to a pallet. Metal on wood is much less slippy than metal on metal. More 4 way lashing ensured the pallet stayed put.

Major rock'n roll on the last half mile down my lane which is seriously rough but nothing moved.

Of course it's different world when you get much over a couple of tons or so. Generally gravity does pretty well but if it does start moving it takes some serious restraint to stop it.

Clive

Two inch x 3000# ratchets don't stretch.
(Neither doo the 4" ones either)

If you are talking about a knee mill, I like to either put a strap around the top and pull both ways with 2 straps, or maybe just wrap the one strap all the way around the ram once and then over to the other side.

Blocking in with 2bys is always good as well.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not the best way. Better to use two seperate straps. A single strap, wrapped around the load, can allow the load to shift from center as one strap loosens the other gets shorter so the strap length does not change as the load shifts.
BilL D

Back