What's new
What's new

Skimmer: disk or belt?

claya

Cast Iron
We run semi-synthetic (Trim MicroSol 585XT) I need to get a skimmer, but cannot decide on belt or disk style. I have space for either style. What is the benefit vs belt or disk? Obviously the belts wear out, but so does the wipers on the disk style. I have a skin that forms on the coolant surface, not sure why. So not sure if a skimmer will work for that. Does anyone else see that skin on thier coolant tanks?

We run semi-synthetic (Trim MicroSol 585XT) I need to get a skimmer, but cannot decide on belt or disk style. I have space for either style. What is the benefit vs belt or disk? Obviously the belts wear out, but so does the wipers on the disk style. I have a skin that forms on the coolant surface, not sure why. So not sure if a skimmer will work for that. Does anyone else see that skin on thier coolant tanks?

I bought the belt one from Vevor, off of Amazon. Under $300 canadian. I am real happy with it. Been using it on a timer at night for 3-4 months now I think. Works well. I am using Fuchs EcoCool Ap 811 BC

They give me their Canada website, but I am sure you can find it on Amazon.com

What is the benefit vs belt or disk?

The belt style can weasel in to places where the big bulky disc can't.
There are some really good belt style ones but very pricey.
If you have room to fit a disc skimmer, I'd go with one of those. They aren't cheap either but at least they aren't as much as a good belt skimmer.

Also a lot of people love that system called NexJen for removing oils on top of their coolant.

I've used belt and disc skimmers, and between those two I prefer the disc skimmers. The belt skimmers just didn't seem to last as long. I have a 15 year old disc skimmer that still works fine. I've had three or four belt skimmers die on me during that time. But for new machines, I've switched to using the NexJen Coalescers. They are more effective at separating the oil. They also keep the coolant circulating which really helps extend the sump life on machines that don't get run every day.

Not sure if it’s copacetic but when the wipers on our discs wear or break we replace with expired library/transit cards. Punch 2 holes in them and Bob’s yer auntie.

I wouldnt worry about belt wear, you can make a belt out of anything. I cut a strip out of a mcmaster carr bag and it outlasted the small gear motor I was using lol.

I have 2 home made disc skimmers, working great.
If left on too long and theres no oil left to skim they pick up coolant. I would like to try a silicone sheet on the disc, repels water but not oil.

So I found a used disk skimmer. It picks up more coolant than I expected. What is the principle of how they attract oils? The oil adheres to the plastic disk surface better than coolant? Will using a silicone, or WD-40 type spray increase the oil attraction? Will a super smooth or textured disk surface attract more oil? Do the disk's wear out over time, pick up less oils?

Both types will pick up too much coolant. You need something to separate the two after. Build a small separating tank with baffle in the middle (two chambers connected underneath) Oil will build up on one side, coolant on the other. Have the coolant drain back to tank, oil drain into a bucket.

Running Hangsterfer's 5080 in Haas machines, I've never needed a skimmer. The machines don't pee way lube into the coolant, and the coolant doesn't grow anything.

Back