What's new
What's new

Source for machine moving casters

Bill D

Diamond
I need to buy some swivel casters 4-6 inch diameter. Harbor fright no longer carries metal wheel casters and I do not trust their plastic to last. Tractor supply seems overpriced but maybe that is the new normal pricing. Shipping can be a deal breaker for such heavy stuff.
Bill D

Bill,

Your title indicates "Machine Moving Casters".

I have used Grainger for those and have been happy with them (and still alive). Don't know if there is one near you.

I also have used Surplus Center but as you mentioned, shipping can be a deal breaker.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

No affiliation, but I've used these on several projects including adding wheels to a 2 ton welding table and they do very well despite the low price. The non-rubber wheel doesn't squish and rolls easily with a load.

MAPP Caster in Houston, TX has a very wide array of casters....you might think you are tired of cheap casters and want to step up and buy some top-of-the-line casters, but once you find out they have 6" casters that are $4000 each and can hold a billion pounds, you'll tone it down and opt for some of their mid-line casters.

I had thought about skates but all but one of my machines, mostly wood working, have an open base so a platform is easier to use for my once every ten years moving. I use an engine crane to hoist the machine up and slip the dolly under it for the move. The casters cost less then skates and the dolly is useful for moving stuff around the patio. Sometimes, if there is room, I just push the loaded crane around.
My heavest machine is only 1750 pounds and I can not see it ever going above 2200. So skates are overkill for my modest needs.
Bill D

Seems like I'm always looking for casters. I'm spoiled, though. I like the kind that let you lock the wheel swivel in any of 4 directions and also have a robust brake. I wouldn't use a Harbor Freight caster if they paid me.

You get what you pay for.

I bought casters from grizzly a few years back. Used them on the bench with my lathe on it and also for my mill. Never had any trouble with them. I've a friend who can't keep urethane tires from disintegrating but I've never had a lick of trouble with them.

I've also built my own casters when the need arose for something special. Pallet jack wheels will support some serious weight.

Last edited:
I had thought about skates but all but one of my machines, mostly wood working, have an open base so a platform is easier to use for my once every ten years moving. I use an engine crane to hoist the machine up and slip the dolly under it for the move. The casters cost less then skates and the dolly is useful for moving stuff around the patio. Sometimes, if there is room, I just push the loaded crane around.
My heavest machine is only 1750 pounds and I can not see it ever going above 2200. So skates are overkill for my modest needs.
Bill D

Bill,

Skates are not actually priced too bad. China cranks them out cheap enough that I couldn't even waste the time to make a set. I picked up 4 of these for $200 and they're actually pretty nice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/332932853029

They will carry anything I'll likely ever move and the hollow handles are nice for tie bars to hold a set distance. I also made two handles that slide through to allow for steering.

You might want to check out Surplus Center

Sometimes their shipping charges seem unreasonable

I need to buy some swivel casters 4-6 inch diameter. Harbor fright no longer carries metal wheel casters and I do not trust their plastic to last. Tractor supply seems overpriced but maybe that is the new normal pricing. Shipping can be a deal breaker for such heavy stuff.
Bill D
Have you tried Northern Hydraulics? That's where I got mine. Not bad for the money I spent.

Bill,

Skates are not actually priced too bad. China cranks them out cheap enough that I couldn't even waste the time to make a set. I picked up 4 of these for $200 and they're actually pretty nice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/332932853029

I did not know the prices had come down so low. Can I assume they are all copies of each other, within load ranges, so if I buy two now and two latter they will match except in color?
Bill

I did not know the prices had come down so low. Can I assume they are all copies of each other, within load ranges, so if I buy two now and two latter they will match except in color?

Yes sir, I believe that would be a safe assumption. I bought mine in January.

They were sold under the VEVOR brand name often used for Chinese products these days. Mine are that same color yellow so you might even get lucky on color if you buy 2 + 2 later.

The round pads on top have ball bearing rollers under them, similar to a thrust bearing. Using a bar through the handle of the skates, I was able to rotate them while moving my 9000# VMC. Sure beats rolling on pipes.

I would like to get one of the toe jacks but I've been waiting to see some more reviews on them.

They have air bag jacks as well. I may just roll the dice and buy one of those. The large foot print would make it extremely advantageous on soft ground.

Last edited:
I would like to get one of the toe jacks but I've been waiting to see some more reviews on them.
I purchased one of the generic toe jacks just like that from ebay 3, maybe 4 years ago, it still works great and no regrets. Only modification I would do is adding a knob to the release valve if your quarters are tight, because sometimes you can't use the handle.

Back