What's new
What's new

Spindle Noise, possible solution for greased spindles

laminar-flow

Stainless
My 2011 Haas TM1 has a greased spindle and started to make a noise on startup. This solution might help non Haas owners who have similar issues. I am using Kluber NBU 15 and also followed it with a bit of spindle oil. If any knowledgable spindle people can comment on my procedure or recommend a grease or oil, that would be much appreciated. Trying to save that spindle.

Here is the link. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ease-spindle-tm1-upper-pulley-bearing.378059/

My professional opinion, your solution is a band-aid at best. That being said if you got more time out of it, more power to you. But its not something I would reccomend to anyone who uses their machine in a production setting trying to hold tolerances and maintain uptime.

Haas likes to use an inferior bearing in the rear of some of their spindles, usually a radial (where it should be a precision angular contact-or better yet a pair). This bearing many times isnt rated to the max speed of the spindle.. and is preloaded by an oring.... Ever wonder why a replacement spindle from Haas is so cheap?

An oil conversion is possible, have done 5 or 6, but the housing needs significant modifications as the housing isnt plumbed for it, only the rear cover.

My opinion is the spindle needs to be rebuilt, or replaced if you want to go that way. But like I said if your stop gap is working, you can just keep milking it.

……Haas likes to use an inferior bearing in the rear of some of their spindles, usually a radial (where it should be a precision angular contact-or better yet a pair). This bearing many times isnt rated to the max speed of the spindle.. and is preloaded by an oring....

Kidding us here? Right? Radial bearing, preloaded by an o-ring? Wow!

Sincerely wish I was kidding. Ive seen all kinds of crappy spindle designs, but this is "impressive".. Ill see if I can dig up some pictures.

As you can see the rear cover pinches a big oring, that hits the outer race of the radial to create some preload... Not ideal.

Should be noted this is a vf-3, and isn't necessarily identical to the tm1 in question here.

Attachments

• DSCF0803.JPG
    DSCF0803.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0804.JPG
    DSCF0804.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0821.JPG
    DSCF0821.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 28

Back