What's new
What's new

Van Norman help info advice please

Mr. W

Plastic
Hello, I’m new here, thank you for letting me join. I have a small Van Norman machine I rescued from being scrapped. I’m not new to antique tools but I have no experience with machining. It was recommended to me that I ask you fine folks about it. I’d like to know what model this is, what it does, what it’s missing, and if parts and tooling are available anywhere. Basically, could this be made to work and, if so, what could I make with it?Thanks in advance, your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. IMG_6555.jpegIMG_6548.jpegIMG_6557.jpeg

Here is some information on your horizontal milling machine. Interestingly, pictures of your machine are already on the site.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/vannorman/index.html

It looks like it is missing a fair amount of parts but they could be made.
You can do milling with cutters made for a horizontal mill. You can mill flat features on many different small parts. You can probably find Youtube videos on using a horizontal mill.

Here is some information on your horizontal milling machine. Interestingly, pictures of your machine are already on the site.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/vannorman/index.html

It looks like it is missing a fair amount of parts but they could be made.
You can do milling with cutters made for a horizontal mill. You can mill flat features on many different small parts. You can probably find Youtube videos on using a horizontal mill.
Thank you. Yes, I recently shared some pictures of it with the gentleman running that site. I had googled the machine and that site popped up so I emailed him to ask for info and he asked for some pics to add to the site. And he gave me a link to this site so I could ask you! Thanks again, I will look into it more.

Unfortunately there isn't much Van Norman product or catalog info from the early days. I'd stay this little bench miller is probably from the teens to early 20s but that's just a guess.

I am not real familiar with VN mills before the #6, but the general lines on this little machine look like the few turn-of-the-century (i.e., 1900, not 2000) VN ad illustrations I've seen. So maybe 1920's, maybe 1900's. I suspect "Bench Miller" was the model number/name, in an era of #1, #2 and #1½ mills.

Interesting. You might be able to determine it maximum possible age by researching the history of the Waltham Watch Tool Co and when it was bought out or merged with Van Norman. Springfield isn't particularly close to Waltham.
Does it have plain cone bearings like a watchmakers lathe?

Back