What's new
What's new

Webb Whacheon WL-400 brake parts

jrhaas60

Plastic
Does anyone know what the auto equivalent brake caliper seals and pads are for this machine? I'm going to try the 1979-80 Mazda 626 clutch master cylinder today which is supposed to be a direct replacement. Thanks, John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You posted your request in the wrong sub forum, I moved it here. You will likely get better replies here as this is the right sub forum for that brand of machine.

Charles

You posted your request in the wrong sub forum, I moved it here. You will likely get better replies here as this is the right sub forum for that brand of machine.

Charles

Thank you Charles. I'm still trying to figure this forum navigation out as a newby.

Well, if anyone is following this I can tell you that the Mazda 626 clutch master definitely doesn't work. Wrong bore, stroke, port placement. At $25 I was looking forward to the savings.

Try old Datsun 510 car 520 PU for master cyl. What is your bore size? And where is your real location??? Not Aland islands I'm sure.

It's a 3/4" bore. I'm in Houston. I'll check out the 510. Do you have the same lathe?

67-72 510 uses a 3/4 bore brake master.No, don't own that lathe was involved in sorcing pads for one recently.Can't remeber if that m/c was a single or dual though. Didn't see any clutch type in 3/4 in a quick look through of my old brake parts catalog.
John

The MC for the Datsun did work on my Webb/Whacheon WL435 Lathe, I just installed it last night. I did have a problem that members of this site assisted me with. There is whats called a residual check valve that needed to be removed in order for the MC to work properly. I am now on the hunt for a rebuild kit for the caliper and/or the equivalent automobile caliper.

Thank you all for your help.

Joe

Last edited:
The WL-400 being smaller may explain the larger bore on the MC versus the WL435. I'm off to the parts store to see about the Datsun 510 part. I'm ready to wrap this up.

I have a WL-435 that had the pump cylinder fail on, I replaced it with a clippard pneumatic(now hydraulic) piston and a check valve to get the oil flowing properly again. Haven't had any issues since replacing it months ago.

No luck again..

I recently acquired a 1988 Whacheon Wl-460. I had to replace the motor in mine, which kept me occupied for awhile, now I have moved on to the brake system.

In my research I discovered the pads and caliper parts are, indeed the same as a mid 1960's Triumph Spitfire. I just ordered and received the parts from Moss Motors in California. The pads are item #585-577, $29.99 for a set of four (so you will have replacements for the next time as well) and the caliper repair kit (seals and pistons) is item #182-895 for $28.99, again enough for two calipers so you will have spares.

These should fit your lathe as well. Check the bore size on your calipers, mine were 1.885". The new pistons were .002 oversize, so I did have to hone the bores slightly to get them to fit (they needed honed anyway as they were lightly scored).

I tried the master cylinder rebuild kit as well, it is the correct bore size, but some of the parts were different, so I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. I may just replace it with this one from Wilwood:

Wilwood High Volume Aluminum Master Cylinder

Anyway, I hope this helps!:D

Kevin

Back