What's new
What's new

What is the in Internal Spindle Taper on a Whacheon WL-435 17"x40" Lathe with A1-6 Spindle?

Daryl, I don't have the answer yet. Thanks so much for that information, it's very helpful and makes sense as the owners manual lists in the specs that the taper is an MT6. As I mentioned in my original post, the Morse Taper #6 is far too big and the Morse Taper #5 far too small.

I have an email in to Whacheon USA and a call in to Greer Machinery. I did quite a bit of searching and cannot find a single source for a Metric #6 Taper. In fact, I can't find any listings for any metric taper centers.

Any ideas where I might source one?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Joe
So, years ago, right after I bought the lathe, I got a Morse Taper #6 -MT#4 adapter. And of course it did not fit. I did some research and found out it was a Metric Taper #6. I forgot about it, and thought someday when I need it, I will just order one. That day has not happened yet. I got my lathe from Greer and I bet he has what you need.

So, years ago, right after I bought the lathe, I got a Morse Taper #6 -MT#4 adapter. And of course it did not fit. I did some research and found out it was a Metric Taper #6. I forgot about it, and thought someday when I need it, I will just order one. That day has not happened yet. I got my lathe from Greer and I bet he has what you need.
Thanks again.

The one I have is still in its foil wrap, never been used. I'd give it to you, but the day after I did that...I'd need it!

As suggested here, I contacted Tom Greer. He does have the adapter I need and it's priced at $350.00. I am pondering whether to bite the bullet and just buy it or keep looking. I also need to consider how often I turn between centers with this lathe which is not often.

I thought I got lucky with Matt selling a 1:20 to MT4 spindle adapter. I jumped on it and sent payment. When I arrived home, I compared the measurements of my lathe and what Matt shows in his photos and much to my dismay, it's too big.

Matt being the gentleman he is, immediately refunded my money and I appreciate him accepting my apology.

I'm still on the hunt as I determine whether to buy the spindle adapter from Greer Machinery.

Many thanks to all who contributed and helped guide me, I do appreciate it.

Joe

As suggested here, I contacted Tom Greer. He does have the adapter I need and it's priced at $350.00. I am pondering whether to bite the bullet and just buy it or keep looking. I also need to consider how often I turn between centers with this lathe which is not often.

I thought I got lucky with Matt selling a 1:20 to MT4 spindle adapter. I jumped on it and sent payment. When I arrived home, I compared the measurements of my lathe and what Matt shows in his photos and much to my dismay, it's too big.

Matt being the gentleman he is, immediately refunded my money and I appreciate him accepting my apology.

I'm still on the hunt as I determine whether to buy the spindle adapter from Greer Machinery.

Many thanks to all who contributed and helped guide me, I do appreciate it.

Joe
I have the sleeve in the picture: I think it is the correct one …?

Attachments

• IMG_7039.jpeg
    IMG_7039.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 12
So having the correct sleeve is nice, personally don’t see the need.
On my M17 Romi CNC lathe when I need to turn between centers I just turn one up.
I have a selection of centers that I hold in the chuck or collet.
The are all made from ETD150 ( RC 30+). I make them with a substantial round section that folded in the chuck.
Made with a shoulder that seats on the face of the chuck jaws.
Forward is a 60* center point.
I put the center in the chuck, and give the point a light dressing cut with a sharp positive tool.
Chuck jaws provide a drive for a dog , works slick. Gives the advantage of being able to have different size and reach centers for that special part.

Cheers Ross

So having the correct sleeve is nice, personally don’t see the need.
On my M17 Romi CNC lathe when I need to turn between centers I just turn one up.
I have a selection of centers that I hold in the chuck or collet.
The are all made from ETD150 ( RC 30+). I make them with a substantial round section that folded in the chuck.
Made with a shoulder that seats on the face of the chuck jaws.
Forward is a 60* center point.
I put the center in the chuck, and give the point a light dressing cut with a sharp positive tool.
Chuck jaws provide a drive for a dog , works slick. Gives the advantage of being able to have different size and reach centers for that special part.

Cheers Ross
Thanks Ross, I am leaning towards exactly this. Thank you for taking the time to write, I appreciate it.

Joe

If it's only occasional just chuck some stock in a 3 or 4 jaw and turn a center. The dog can run against a jaw. Nice thing is that the center is dead on the spindle axis.

Hello, I am doing a university project about a Whacheon WL 435 lathe but the owners of the lathe lost the original operator's manual. Does anyone know where I can get a PDF version?

Back