What's new
What's new

What lathes (if any) use this short Morse Taper 5?

ballen

Diamond
I have collected a bunch of parts and accessories for my Studer RHU-450 universal cylindrical grinder, and have some duplicates that I want to sell. These use a short MT5 taper in the workhead, as shown here with a small magnetic chuck. These are also used in other Studer cylindrical grinders. My question: are there lathes that use this same short MT5 taper?

IMG_0569.JPG

Details: the short Studer MT5 has the same angle as a normal MT5, but is missing about 15mm from the short and from the long end:

Studer short MT5: d=38.0mm, D=44.0mm, L=100mm
Normal full MT5: d=37.5mm, D=44.4mm, L=131mm

The Studer short MT5 are normally retained with an internal threaded stub that matches a Schaublin W25 collet.

Cheers,
Bruce

Last edited:
My lathe has MT 5 to MT 3 that is really short as in 60 mm of engagement. I often found these short adapters lying in tool boxes that came with various lathes that I have worked on over the years.

Interestingly I just checked the one lying in the tool box. Spindle has about .002 mm TIR run out, insert taper into head stock of lathe and the outside has the same run out as the spindle but the inside has .04 mm run :wall:. Another grinding job for the future.

Less-than-full-length MT6 is pretty common, so Ltfl MT5 isn't astonishing. Not a lathe, but one of the big workheads for the Cincinnati #2 tool&cutter grinder takes MT5. The other end takes NTMB50, so this is a big boy.

My lathe has MT 5 to MT 3 that is really short as in 60 mm of engagement. I often found these short adapters lying in tool boxes that came with various lathes that I have worked on over the years.
What kind of lathe? Would these Studer parts fit, or are they too long?

What kind of lathe? Would these Studer parts fit, or are they too long?
This particular lathe is a Pacific. I think the Studer part would fit. The small diameter will definitely fit the bore. I'll measure the large end on Monday. I'm pretty sure all the manufacturers just copy each other.

Hi Bruce,
On answer is the Harrison M300 , which is a good all-rounder for a small shop and they're quite numerous in the UK.

Headstock spindle bore is MT5. Would need a careful measuremant to ensure the D=44.0mm of the Studer short will locate OK (i.e. potentially same issue as ballen, above), but I might be interested in one if it will.

Best regards,
Ian.

Back