What's new
What's new

What processes would you offer as a shop starting over?

Most of my products are automotive. There are endless numbers of forums and facebook groups for vehicles. My marketing recipe has been to sign up to a forum and just devote a little time everyday to being helpful and friendly. Absolutely no self promotion for awhile. Wait until someone else starts discussing your products or when there's an opportunity to give an experienced opinion, genuinely share some of your knowledge. Maybe suggest a person who could use your product can message you privately so you can make a recommendation. After awhile the forum/group members will figure out what you do, that you're helpful and they'll promote the shit out of your business...

Thanks for sharing this. This is a valuable feedback and takes humility to execute. What you are talking about requires passion and interest into projects first, then if other's share your passion you can make more for them. What is great about this is that you are making parts in an industry you are interested in. What is unfortunate is this can take your passion and make it seem more like work at times, but I suppose there are worse problems to have in the world.

I've been told before I shouldn't worry so much about other people copying what I'm doing, it takes more effort than most are willing to put in and if it can just be purchased most would rather take that route. It is easy to take for granted all the steps we have to go through to have the capabilities we do, especially for the low cost of components all things considered. It's not just the electricity, the machinery and the tooling, it is also the software and the skills to use all of the above to make quality product. I like what Elon Musk said a little while ago "...Basically the amount of effort that goes into the design rounds down to zero, relative to the amount of the effort that goes into the manufacturing system." His context is more complex than the average widget but I think the concept scales well either direction.

I've been told before I shouldn't worry so much about other people copying what I'm doing, it takes more effort than most are willing to put in and if it can just be purchased most would rather take that route. It is easy to take for granted all the steps we have to go through to have the capabilities we do, especially for the low cost of components all things considered. It's not just the electricity, the machinery and the tooling, it is also the software and the skills to use all of the above to make quality product. I like what Elon Musk said a little while ago "...Basically the amount of effort that goes into the design rounds down to zero, relative to the amount of the effort that goes into the manufacturing system." His context is more complex than the average widget but I think the concept scales well either direction.

I hadn't heard that quote from Elon before. I agree with him.

Production is a big part of your business strategy. If you can make better parts faster than anyone else you have more time for customer service. For new product development. For process improvement.

Most of my competition does little more than laser mark their products in house. Their designs are crude, They pay way more for them, their overhead is way more than mine. They can't really lower the cost to make their stuff. They can't copy my stuff because they can't find anybody who can do the processes I use at the small scale of these markets.

Back