What's new
What's new

What size tapered reamer is needed for a KO Lee grinder?

jbacc

Hot Rolled
The next step in making the new part for my K.O. Lee Grinder is to drill the tapered holes for the table locks. I believe a tapered reamer is what I need and since I will need to purchase one, I am hoping to confirm the size I need. The table lock tapered pin (photo below)is .794 inches long and the in is .254 in the small end and .290 on the large end.

What size tapered reamer is needed?

As always, my sincerest thanks and appreciation for the help.

Joe

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 20
Do they lock in with a light tap, or just a hand push?
I would not ream very much if any...
Easy enough to grind a taper reamer
Hand push but that's after many years of use and abuse. As always, thanks for taking the time to share your expertise and help someone like me on the other end of that spectrum. Is the reamer you linked to a tapered reamer? Doesn't appear to but heck, maybe I'm missing something which is a common occurrence..Lol.

Thanks again,

Joe

What size tapered reamer is needed?
Depends on what the taper you measured is. US standard "taper pins" taper 1:48 diameter on length. Metric standard taper pins taper 1:50 diameter on length. Your measurement of (.290-.254)/.794 is 0.04534 or 1:22, which is about twice as steep as either of the two standard taper pins.
And it could be some maker's arbitrary design, in which case you cannot buy a stock taper reamer at all. (Could have one ground custom, but be very, very sure of your measurements beforehand.)

Depends on what the taper you measured is. US standard "taper pins" taper 1:48 diameter on length. Metric standard taper pins taper 1:50 diameter on length. Your measurement of (.290-.254)/.794 is 0.04534 or 1:22, which is about twice as steep as either of the two standard taper pins.
And it could be some maker's arbitrary design, in which case you cannot buy a stock taper reamer at all. (Could have one ground custom, but be very, very sure of your measurements beforehand.)
Thanks for your help.

Joe

You didn't mention that it was so short in the other thread. He is right, that's not a standard tapered pin. You will have to look around a bit and see what exactly you've got there. Alternatively you could remake the whole thing in a standard taper since you're making the mating piece.

You didn't mention that it was so short in the other thread. He is right, that's not a standard tapered pin. You will have to look around a bit and see what exactly you've got there. Alternatively you could remake the whole thing in a standard taper since you're making the mating piece.
Is the length of the current taper really relevant? Taper pins are always much longer on the shelf than they are installed.

Is the length of the current taper really relevant? Taper pins are always much longer on the shelf than they are installed.

In the other thread he only gave the big end and small end diameters, leading me to think it was a #5 pin. With that short length, it doesn't match a standard taper at those diameters, as sfriedberg pointed out. It's a steeper taper. Doesn't match anything I can think of. With those numbers, that's about .544" taper per foot. Might be a good idea to do a little more careful check on that taper.

Last edited:
The 5/16 reamer I mentioned is just a straight reamer the size to make the taper reamer that you need with.312" larger than your need for .254 -.290" taper.. Making one is likely easier than finding one. You can circle grind it held and rolled out of a V block if having no other way to hold it.

Last edited:
The 5/16 reamer I mentioned is just a straight reamer the size to make the taper reamer that you need with.312" larger than your need for .254 -.290" taper.. Making one is likely easier than finding one. You can circle grind it held and rolled out of a V block if having no other way to hold it.
Again, I thank you so much for your guidance...

In the other thread he only gave the big end and small end diameters, leading me to think it was a #5 pin. With that short length, it doesn't match a standard taper at those diameters, as sfriedberg pointed out. It's a steeper taper. Doesn't match anything I can think of. With those numbers, that's about .544" taper per foot. Might be a good idea to do a little more careful check on that taper.
Thanks for your help, I think I will attempt to modify a reamer as Michiganbuck suggested.

Joe

QT (Thanks for your help, I think I will attempt to modify a reamer as Michiganbuck suggested.
Or if it by hand-sticks in the hole or with a very light tap just leave it as is.

Last edited:
Those pins are not tapered when new. At least the ones on my grinder were not. I suspect someone, by the name of "Buba" modified the pins to fit the that mucked up piece prior to the OP making a new one. The original were a close fit to the original holes from what I remember. When pushed down all the way down, you could still twist them by hand.
Oh well, just trying to help.

Those pins are not tapered when new. At least the ones on my grinder were not. I suspect someone, by the name of "Buba" modified the pins to fit the that mucked up piece prior to the OP making a new one. The original were a close fit to the original holes from what I remember. When pushed down all the way down, you could still twist them by hand.
Oh well, just trying to help.

It does seem like an odd place to have a taper, now that I've seen the function in the other thread.

FWiW I have a B860 and my equivalent of those pins are definitely tapered. I had the opposite problem; tapered holes were fine but no pins. I do recall it is an oddball taper.

-Steve M.
Hi Steve, yes, they are definitely tapered. I followed the advice of Michiganbuck and ground a regular reamer to the proper sized tapered reamer. No measuring just trial and error until I got it right. I have another thread about the part I had to make (hack) to replace the original part which was somehow cracked in half.

Thank you and the other who graciously shared their knowledge, opinions and advice, it was all most helpful and I appreciate it.

Joe

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 7
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 7
Oh , I mentioned to Joe that for a torn leather flat belt one might get a leather bookmark at Hobby Lobby and glue it to the away from the pulley side of the flat belt with some CA4 glue. Might also throw in some stitches with upholstery thread.
Paint sticks are covered with wax paper and clamped to hold glue set over night (wax side facing the repair...

booknmark= thin leather 1 1/4 by about 5" long.

Last edited:

Back