What's new
What's new

What would you call a machine to cut (shear) small diameter music wire?

I would just bite the bullet and buy one from these guys. https://www.novoprecision.com/Customer-Content/www/products/Files/SFC_Callout_Photo_2.pdf
configurable with a wire straightener, available with a variety of tech levels, they send it to you with the dies you need, you plug it in, hook up air, and start cutting.
Buying a 50 year old OBI press, then designing and building dies and feed mechanisms and length stops is a great hobby for the next few years.
For production, I find buying a machine designed to do what you want, ready to run, serves me better.
But then, I have a 1 ton machine that is a 1 axis CNC just for twisting metal...

the older I get the slower I get.
I doubt there are any used ones closer than 1500 miles from me, I cant imagine if I bought one today getting it within two weeks. At my current rate of speed, a couple days just to run a new 50 or 100 amp circuit so I could turn the damn thing on. I know how to swap a clutch disc, too, doesnt mean I wanna do that anymore, either.

Its certainly not my idea of fun to make all that from scratch.
Especially when they make machines all ready to go, you just buy the dies for the wire sizes you need.
I know how to make a hammer, I have all the tools. But I still buy em.
It would take me much longer to learn how to do the damn website...

I doubt there are any used ones closer than 1500 miles from me,
How far is portland ?

This guy has four, from 1 ton to 5 tons, $300 to $700. On the train, Seattle to Portland was about 3 hours. Probably faster by pickemup. Definitely easier to bring home.

And oh yeah, it has a normal 110v plug, so just stick that prongy little thing in the socket and flip the switch.

There goes one day :D

edit: hang on, I'll grab the photo. I want y'all to know, I'm a big spender so I'd probly just go straight to the high-dollar spread, the 5 ton for $700. Maybe you cheapskates might want to figure out exactly the tonnage required so you could save a few bucks. But I dunno, once you kick em over on their inclined backs and get that ram pile drivin', more tons can be good, yes ?

00707_i2F8SnHmmpP_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
From my house, on a sunday at midnight, I could make Portland in a bit under 5 hours. But during the day, with pee breaks, lunch, and gas, thats a 12 hour round trip easy, and if traffic is "normal" in Seattle or down by Fort Lewis, could easily be 14. way too far for me to pickup a crappy 5 ton. And the truck would eat a hunnert bucks of gas these days. People (usually aging machine shop owners who never use em) been trying to unload those little tabletop punch press things on me since the early 80s. I dont want one.

But thats not my point- My point is, to make a comparable tool to the one you can buy, is a lot more complicated than buying a 50 year little press.
I have a lathe and a mill, sure. But no surface grinder, heat treating oven, or edm.
And to make decent cutoff dies, thats usually the tools they use.
Especially for that itty bitty sized wire.
OP wants unblemished, unsquashed ends.
I could make some half usable cutoff dies, which would be half as accurate, if I really worked on it. I would much prefer to buy accurate, heat treated ones, in a nice proven die holding system, made by somebody who does it for a living and who I can complain to if they dont work.
I could cludge together some kinda ebay measuring tool into a length readout, and make some kind of micrometer stop, too, I suppose.
I would use an air cylinder, stead of a mechanical punch press, quieter and smaller and just nicer to sit at for hours.
And then put it all together, figure out why its wonky, take it apart a few times and rebuild it, til I finally get it right.

But Why?
I am not in business to save money. I am in business to make money.
That means the stuff I can do well, that I am tooled to do, that other people cant do, is what I wanna spend my shop time on.
I had a project a few years ago where we had to melt together the ends of a few thousand 400 strand 1/4" diameter stainless cables, so they wouldnt unravel.
Yeah I coulda bought some weird WW2 surplus giant induction machine from HGR, had it shipped from Ohio, made some air clamps and timers and "saved" some money.
Instead, I found a company that makes em, in Ma., and rented one by the month for six months. Cost TWO HUNDERED DOLLARS A MONTH! my grandpa wouldda had a heart attack.
Was the best money I ever spent. Plug it in, turn it on, does the exact job I want, every time. Somebody else spent a few years refining the design, finding the best suppliers for every part, and even getting the damn thing UL certified.
I done my share of building things that simply arent available, but for something like this, when you can buy one with a built in wire straightening section, spool holders for the sizes wire actually comes in, accurate length stops, off the shelf dies for all the wire sizes you need, plug and play, its kinda a no brainer to me. I know that today, with there being hardly any place within 2 hours of me that sells springs or fasteners or end mills or solenoid air valves or does heat treating, these kind of projects are WAAY more time consuming and costly then they were when I lived in LA in the 80s.
Even finding used machines is really different. When I moved to LA in 84, there were 2 dozen used machinery places with hundreds of machines on the floor. Now- well, theres Sterling... Santa Fe down in Vernon used to have a half dozen in a 2 block stretch. I think Century might still be there.
I dont need to prove to myself how handy I am any more. I fix stuff all the time you cant get parts for, I already impressed myself enough...

By the way- do you actually have a shop, either in China or on your tug boat? I thought these days you just do a bit of import export and consulting. Could you really do this in 2 weeks, or is that bench racing?

From my house, on a sunday at midnight, I could make Portland in a bit under 5 hours but during the day, with pee breaks, lunch, and gas ... And the truck would eat a hunnert bucks of gas these days.
Wow. Is it time to ditch that pickup truck? Kinda cool that the US is catching up to the world !

amtrak_1.jpg
amtrak_2.jpg

It's a nice trip, btw. Done it quite a few times now. King St station is a little sucky but I can give you a few tips if you like.

Wow. Is it time to ditch that pickup truck? Kinda cool that the US is catching up to the world !

View attachment 431683
View attachment 431684

It's a nice trip, btw. Done it quite a few times now. King St station is a little sucky but I can give you a few tips if you like.
My wife takes the train to Seattle some times. One train a day each way, 20 bucks one way. One track, washes out in storms a couple times a year, 20 to 40 freight trains a day when its open. Hardly world class. And they dont allow punch presses as carry on.

Back