What's new
What's new

Who sells a decent 33pc Silver and Deming style drill set?

Go ahead, flame away:

I bought a set 20 years ago under whatever brand HF called them then. I have used them for short CNC runs and every oddball drilling job I've had. Never broken or chipped one. Never had to sharpen one. Yeah, I buy a dedicated drill in good material if I'm going to do a bunch of holes in a tougher material.
Bought that set a couple years ago because the set I bought from Enco 30+ years ago is looking pretty haggard with spun shanks and reground tips. An analogy would be a stock car towards the end of the season. "pretty banged up". Worth every penny, and able to get the job done at low cost. No complaints.

Go ahead, flame away:

. . .
The problem here is lack of consistency. The set you buy next week or next year will likely bear no resemblance to the one you got good results with. That consistency is part of what you pay for with a quality brand.

no mention of the 737 max heritage,
Not so much, 737 originally came out in the late 60's, narrow body short-haul. 777 introduced late 90's, wide-body long distance. Not much in common except they both have wings.

the model (map) is not the territory.
That's what SGI was gloating about. 777 was the first airplane to actually have a model, everything before that was a paper design.

Don't know about the plane but the Indy is made in inches :D

S&D drills, 5c collets, chucking reamers, all the same. You'll never use all the bastard fractional sizes.

Especially 5c collets. I have never understood the fascination with having a full set by 64ths.
I use the bastard drill sizes all the time, especially in a lathe and proto trak mill.

Drill .032” under, bore or mill to size. They are also the sharpest!

Viking sells a set of S&D bits that’s nice and made in the US.

You'll need two sets, one for plastics and brass, the other one for steel and aluminium; the one for plastics and brass will have the cutting edges flattened f.i. with a slipstone or ground in a wheel. Unless you are doing a lot of different size holes don't buy the set in 32nds, individual drills in 16ths will do, and up to a size compatible with the machines you have.

Get them with three lobe shanks and the shanks will not slip and get burrs.
Bill D
This, or don't hold them in a chuck. I have a cheap set x 16ths that I gave to a friend 30 or so years ago. He gave them back to me when I was talking about buying a set. He'd never used them, so the shanks are pristine. I always hold them in a collet, it was grounds for firing if Fred ever caught you holding one in a chuck. For the lathe I have a few taper shanks that will get me up to boring bar size.

I vote for buying the cheap set and replacing individuals with quality when/if needed. Just make sure you know how to calculate the appropriate rpm.

I have a Triumph Twist Drill set that I've been happy with. MSC price is now around $1000, not sure what I paid thru Enco years ago but probably 1/3 of that.

Most of my S & D shank drills are made of old Morse taper drill bits with the shanks turned down. A little hard to use in the mill but work fine in the lathe or drill press. Some are short enough to work in the mill, too.

Most of my S & D shank drills are made of old Morse taper drill bits with the shanks turned down. A little hard to use in the mill but work fine in the lathe or drill press. Some are short enough to work in the mill, too.
S&D drills are shit. Morse taper is the way to go, I can't imagine why anyone with a clue would cut one to 1/2". Guaranteed to slip in the chuck or twist off if it doesn't.

Back