What's new
What's new

Why do you like Orange Vise?

For sure, we were going to buy a horizontal with 6 pallet pool this year, but we need a 5 axis more, started getting a lot of 5 axis stuff, and doing it on 3 axis sucks, but with the slow down gotta wait'n see.
Ohh yea, I get it! I have a family of parts I have been doing for one of my customers for quite a while now (8 years?). some of the parts need 7 set-ups in 3X mills! Yea 7 :eek: . I am currently working on transferring them to run the 1st OP on a Pierson Roto-Vise on a 4th (because anything more accurate than 1st-OP on a Roto-Vise is a pipe-dream, LOL). This will knock it down to 3 for some, 4 for others. Doing them 5X would be ideal. But even at his increased volumes, it doesn't warrant the investment. Maybe someday.

Used hmc's are a crazy value.

Every hmc has a pallet changer.

400mm hmc is same footprint as a vf2.

Hmc stones and vise columns are crazy cheap used compared to vmc workholding.

Used hmc's are a crazy value.

Every hmc has a pallet changer.

400mm hmc is same footprint as a vf2.

Hmc stones and vise columns are crazy cheap used compared to vmc workholding.
All true. But, unless there is a pallet pool involved? In a primarily VMC shop, I will take a Brother R650 over an HMC any day.
Call the guys at PAWS Workholding and ask them why their facility went from a shop full of HMCs to a small army of Brother pallet machines.
I guess maybe you have to own and live with the Brother for a while to really get it?
Unless the parts greatly benefit from the 4th-X? Or like I said, pallet-pool? I would take the Brother every time.

All true. But, unless there is a pallet pool involved? In a primarily VMC shop, I will take a Brother R650 over an HMC any day.
Call the guys at PAWS Workholding and ask them why their facility went from a shop full of HMCs to a small army of Brother pallet machines.
I guess maybe you have to own and live with the Brother for a while to really get it?
Unless the parts greatly benefit from the 4th-X? Or like I said, pallet-pool? I would take the Brother every time.

I think the R brothers are great.

What's an R650 brother with twin rotaries set you back today? $150ish?

Does the brother hold 60+ tools?

Good 400mm jap hmc has a place. Especially for parts designed for one op with 4 axis'. And doubly Especially when they are a tenth the price of a Brother and rotaries all in.

Pallet change hmc can produce double what a 3+1 vmc can.

Brother r650 can be faster for lots of stuff, but it's unlikely to be very great when lots of tools are needed, in hard steel or larger 4 axis parts. A 400mm hmc has a significantly larger 4 axis part capacity than an r650 w/rotary.

All machine configurations have a place. I personally went through what pallet pool cells can do to total numbers of machines (and operators). Every 2 spindle 40 taper HMC cell with 20+ pallets got rid of at least 7 40 taper VMCs and another 2 spindle 50 taper HMC cell replaced 5 standalone 50 taper HMCs. Of course, product mix, volume, and workpiece types played heavily into the advantages of cells in that shop. When I started there, there were about 100 CNCs. When I left, there were about 75 CNCs and were doing at least double in gross sales.

drum.gif

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

(because anything more accurate than 1st-OP on a Roto-Vise is a pipe-dream, LOL).
Have you tried using soft jaws or the little pallets? I've had good luck on repeatability with both. The pallet are only like 3"x8", but if you're doing small stuff like we are it's quick to drop on and go.

Back