According to the manual when the run switch
is opened the drive goes into stop.

So far so good.

Now what do I activate to ensure the drive
won't accidentally start while changing tooling
etc.

sto1 and sto2 are safety related logic inputs,
but i'm not sure what these are designated for
or if they are intended to disable the drive.

Hope I have explained this correctly.

Thanks for any help!
olf20 / Bob

In general, you CANNOT guaranee that with normal drives as in common use.

With relay logic, you can lock open a switch in the power to the coil of he main contactor or other contactor for the function, and that is pretty safe.

The only for-sure safety is to lock out the power to the machine, and that may not be practical for work like tooling changes, etc. It is, however, totally appropriate and required for working on machine controls or other items requiring getting into the innards of the machine, especially the electrical innards.

Many new VFDs have a "Safe Power Off" mode, for your situation. This is a way to positively interrupt power to the IGBT gate drive circuits. Without power, the gate drives cannot cause the IGBTs to turn on in such a way as to drive the motor(s). It is, however, not a "disconnect" suitable for working on wiring. It is merely intended to prevent the drive powering the motor in such a way as to make it turn. It cannot guarantee the wires have no voltage, just that the wires do not have the type voltage/signal on them that can spin a motor.

You have an "elementary" lockout if you put a switch in series with the "on " button. With it open, the button cannot complete the circuit and give a "go" signal. However, the drive might still get a "noise signal', some form of "EMI", and still start to spin the motor. There is no positive prevention of that, the switch simply reduces the risk somewhat. It is not at the level of interrupting coil power, or removing power from the gate drive circuit. And none of the above are as positive as removing machine power.

It all depends on what level of safety lockout is required for your situation.

Thanks for the replies!! Reading thru the manual it
gets confusing cause they have you jump from section to
section for the details.
I think the safest way is just to kill power as I have
the breaker on the front panel of the drive.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
olf20 / Bob

Back