What's new
What's new

WTB: Horizontal Bandsaw

DanASM

Hot Rolled
My old man has a job that needs to be saw cut to length and was quoted $600 for material and another $600 for the saw cutting. He was thinking of getting a bandsaw for $5-$600 and doing it ourselves.

If anyone has one they want to get rid of let me know. I would rather not get a Harbor Freight or a JET. Something that fits the budget that is not in bad shape.

A nice Kalamazoo went at auction the other day for $210. That was around Detroit.

Keep an eye on local auctions. Manual horizontals seem to go for not a lot.

Where are your located?
New England. I saw one in Pennsylvania that is close enough to ship, I would say within 500 miles or so would be great but I think freighters are looking for loads. 1000 miles seems like a good place to start.

Not a Jet? Have you ever looked at the heavier Jet saws? The 916 size saws are a lot better than a lot of the old USA made stuff.

Buy an auto saw.

Not a Jet? Have you ever looked at the heavier Jet saws? The 916 size saws are a lot better than a lot of the old USA made stuff.

Buy an auto saw.
Jet would be up on the list for that price. Auto saw for 600? 9x6 or 916? Do not know the later.
What is material? Part length and number of parts?

Buy an auto saw.
After posting this I saw a Jet that looked a little bulkier than I expected. I was surprised it was a Jet.

If it's a one time job and your cutting smaller diameter stock buy the cheapo harbor freight model for around $365. and the optional warranty, and a good blade.
Do what you have to do and if it breaks take it back and exchange for a new one until job is done....then return it again for a fresh new one to either sell or stash in back for the next job.
I know...sure sounds bad...but it's something to consider---look at it as importer pay back.

If it's a one time job and your cutting smaller diameter stock buy the cheapo harbor freight model for around $365. and the optional warranty, and a good blade.
Do what you have to do and if it breaks take it back and exchange for a new one until job is done....then return it again for a fresh new one to either sell or stash in back for the next job.
I know...sure sounds bad...but it's something to consider---look at it as importer pay back.
Sounds like a lot of legwork and wasted time out of the shop. Trying to avoid all of that.

Jet would be up on the list for that price. Auto saw for 600? 9x6 or 916? Do not know the later.
What is material? Part length and number of parts?

I've bought 2 auto saws used. Each was under $600. I passed over a free working auto Doall a few months ago.

I just mentioned it in case one pops up while he's looking for a toy saw.

You can always use an auto saw manually.

I saw one that reminded me of a wheel barrow. I keep an eye on bidspotter, but my dad might need it sooner than that.

I was thinking of the cheap ones not running straight. I have had vertical bandsaws cut for shit in wood when I was younger. I learned a good solid thick blade was necessary, and make sure the pulleys are lined up correctly.

I have seen too much horrible freight stuff out of line brand new to trust it. I like the idea of being able to wheel it over to the corner when I am done with it to keep it out of the way.

I have seen some of Tormachs saws come available, but am under the impression they are being sold cause they wont do the job needed.

I saw one that reminded me of a wheel barrow. I keep an eye on bidspotter, but my dad might need it sooner than that.

I was thinking of the cheap ones not running straight. I have had vertical bandsaws cut for shit in wood when I was younger. I learned a good solid thick blade was necessary, and make sure the pulleys are lined up correctly.

I have seen too much horrible freight stuff out of line brand new to trust it. I like the idea of being able to wheel it over to the corner when I am done with it to keep it out of the way.

I have seen some of Tormachs saws come available, but am under the impression they are being sold cause they wont do the job needed.
There was thread on PM a couple of years ago.....

The wheelbarrow is probably the Wellsaw 58-series. It's an excellent saw with factory support if needed.

I am kind of leaning towards the HF one as I really only need it for this one job. If I got a deal on a better one it would be nice, but wouldnt get much use.

My next issue is with the blades. I dont know enough about them, which to use and which to stay away from. I do remember that some cheaper saws dont take big enough blades to take the cuts I want to take. I would hate to have this issue after buying what I thought would work well.

Size and type of blades would help. I also want to get one with coolant, but dont know if this is a big deal for this one job . Material is low carbon steel of some sort.

I am kind of leaning towards the HF one as I really only need it for this one job. If I got a deal on a better one it would be nice, but wouldnt get much use.

My next issue is with the blades. I dont know enough about them, which to use and which to stay away from. I do remember that some cheaper saws dont take big enough blades to take the cuts I want to take. I would hate to have this issue after buying what I thought would work well.

Size and type of blades would help. I also want to get one with coolant, but dont know if this is a big deal for this one job . Material is low carbon steel of some sort.

Boy. You're all over the place.

Decent saws start with a 1" tall blade. Anything smaller is nowhere near as capable. The saw frame has to be heavy enough to tension the blade to 25k+ PSI. The guides need to keep the blade straight while handling the tensioning and cutting forces.

I have a big mitering auto saw that lives in one spot and I have a mitering 916 Jet on wheels. The Jet is about 30" x 60" and 1000 lbs. It rolls out of the way when not in use.

Boy. You're all over the place.

Decent saws start with a 1" tall blade. Anything smaller is nowhere near as capable. The saw frame has to be heavy enough to tension the blade to 25k+ PSI. The guides need to keep the blade straight while handling the tensioning and cutting forces.

I have a big mitering auto saw that lives in one spot and I have a mitering 916 Jet on wheels. The Jet is about 30" x 60" and 1000 lbs. It rolls out of the way when not in use.

Yeah , I was thinking of my old mans way of thought on this. I don't really need the saw, but If I were to go halfsies on one I would want a much better one. I dont think I will find what I want in time for my dads job.

Thus the HF one comes into mind, but now I am wondering if coolant should be a concern. I have had so much HF stuff come in and not run true, that I dont want to have to return it 3x to get through the job. I guess its my dads problem and not mine, so it wont be me running to HF.

The re-sawing on a vertical bandsaw I was doing years ago with wood led me to understand the 1" blade made the world of difference over a 3/4" one. Most saws couldn't handle the 1" Blade (or bigger blades, I forget the actual size). Its like the lower cost saws just couldn't handle the "industrial" cuts that I needed to make. The good saws cost way more $, which is why I don't want to fall into that trap with this one.

EDIT: Damn the cheap HF saw has a 1/2" blade and the $1350 saw has a 3/4" blade.

As saw snob- the Klucth (northern tool) is a little better than harbor freight. Harbor freight has best return policy.
Morse blades are my go to, variable pitch bi metal. Nothing gourmet on this part.
Go with finer pitch than the charts say with those saws, coolant is not optional.
3/4 blade is fine on the 6x saws. 1/2 on the 4x saws. Honestly you are not pushing the blades on these. The 4x is the best bang for buck. The guides are cam bearings that can be adjusted.. most never know that.

Back