What's new
What's new

Youtube Machinists

Ever watch Norm Abrahms or Tom Silva run a table saw? Probably not, since you are in the UK, but they are master carpenters on the American TV show "This Old House". You would swear that they were about to lose an arm every time they turn on the saw. Yet, after 40+ years in business, they still have all of their digits. They know what they are doing.

My favorite was always watching Bob Vila try to actually do something with a tool in his hand.

I remember one time, a contractor on the show handed him a hammer, and asked him to drive a nail (or something similarly basic) and good old Bob hit just about everything except for the nail, and then bent the nail over and drove 'er home. He hands the hammer back to the other guy, and the dude's just staring at him like his world had just tilted 5°.

When I was younger and prone to drinking and partying a lot more, I used to always love the metal fabrication and woodworking (mostly woodworking) shows on PBS or some cable channels the morning after. Spend a couple hours 'recuperating' and drinking gatorade, sitting on the couch watching New Yankee Workshop, This Old House, and sometimes the silly automotive fabrication shows on Spike TV or Discovery or something (I can't remember those too well)

There was one carpenter who used mostly hand tools making furniture, some very fine, some basic and Amish looking. He'd occasionally do a show about how to make a certain piece of a boat, and go to some museum that showed older examples and how they "used-ta" make 'em. It was neat. Super calming shows that were easy to watch and listen to, even with a hangover, while still being intellectually interesting.

I've had a love/hate relationship with wood. I really like wood furniture and exposed-wood-beam house framing. I fucking love the trend in huge laminate wood beam construction. It's gorgeous, imo. But the 'hate' part is that it's a lot more difficult than metal. Metal is easy to fix. Or maybe I just have more experience with it, is all. You can beat it around, heat it up, weld on it, grind on it, or you can do uber precise work that results in perfect function the way you intended. It's predictable. Wood... fucking hate it. I also don't have the nicest in wood tools, so I have to use pretty rudimentary methods that are probably more prone to fucking up in the hands of a novice.

Now that I don't have cable or even over-the-air TV hooked up, I should maybe start my early days with a cup of coffee and cast youtube to my TV and watch the machinist videos like that. I've never watched any of Robin Renzetti but it sounds like it's up my alley.

I watched a couple of John W's pal at Oculus (mentioned a page or two back, I forget his name) and I liked his stuff. I like the way his brain is wired, which comes across in his methods and explanation. Might have to watch a lil more of him, too.

I actually fell asleep watching one of his videos a month or so back.
I can fall asleep watching almost any video. For some reason a screen with moving stuff in front of you makes you sleepy... which is good :)

I watch pretty much all of those people and a few more (some woodworking). I just skip the mail and most stuff that isn't machining... except when Abom was talking about his dog, dogs are better than everything.

I used to watch his videos more, but lately it's more about driving around, showing tools that people sent him to test out, etc...I used to like it more when he focused on machining. He still does some, but seems like he's more interested in becoming an inet celeb.

I actually fell asleep watching one of his videos a month or so back. I don't care about what Tom Lipton says, I can go watch his videos if I want. I don't care about some challenge with Keith Fenner, but I guess that's inet innovation...I want to see machining. So yeah, I can skip over it, but I can also skip it entirely and get some time in my own shop. Certainly all of these people have good intentions, not trying to dis them, I've learned bits and pieces from most of them over the years. However, there are some newer folks coming around on YT these days, Joe Pi, This Old Tony, etc...I've never seen them opening up presents for 20 minutes. :rolleyes5:

I gotta admit, the pre-machining chit-chat and presents is annoying. Too much of it on too many channels instead of getting down to the subject at hand. A lot of them on Youtube do it. I can see a group of old lady's with knitting channels doing the presents thing, but it just doesn't fit in with machining and manly man activities IMHO. So I do skip those parts. I get that it's nice to show appreciation for people that send in stuff. But I don't care to watch it.
If the driving around and BBQ is a separate vid, great. I might go check that out a bit and fast forward thru it if I get board.

I think I saw that same one, and was also a little spooked by how comfortable he is changing workpieces with the spindle on. He was also changing out parts in the 5C collet in his lathe without shutting anything off, which isn't something I would personally be doing.

A Lathe with a Lever type collet closer is made to change parts in the collet with the spindle running IF the
part geometry allows it.

Man... maybe I just haven't been doing this long enough... But I love my job, and I wake up happy to go in, every single day.

I guess ask me again in 30 years...

I don't know. I love this shit out of my job. I am only ever dreading going in when I'm still up at midnight and I gotta be back at 330am. Those days are rare though (staying up that late, and going in that early).

I was a computer programmer before I got into machining. It was a brutal work environment, and mostly long ass weeks with unpaid overtime (salary, and fell under the overtime exemption). I think that I would have 100% had a heart attack by now (30) like half of the other programmer in the shop. Also was expected to be able to respond to emails and phone calls at home. Just totally sucked.

Now, I work in a relatively clean, air conditioned machine shop. I make less then as a programmer, but I get to leave work without taking it home, and they pay for overtime. I get to get up and move around instead of sitting in front of a screen till my eyes water, and honestly am amazed at how much of the skillset transferred over. The logic and general computer skills go along way towards CNC. I still program, just parts instead of software. I've had some great jobs, but this one is tied with my Air Force stint for #1. Love coming here in the morning.

Machining does seem to attract a large number of grumpy assholes.

I don't know. I love this shit out of my job. I am only ever dreading going in when I'm still up at midnight and I gotta be back at 330am. Those days are rare though (staying up that late, and going in that early).

I was a computer programmer before I got into machining. It was a brutal work environment, and mostly long ass weeks with unpaid overtime (salary, and fell under the overtime exemption). I think that I would have 100% had a heart attack by now (30) like half of the other programmer in the shop. Also was expected to be able to respond to emails and phone calls at home. Just totally sucked.

Now, I work in a relatively clean, air conditioned machine shop. I make less then as a programmer, but I get to leave work without taking it home, and they pay for overtime. I get to get up and move around instead of sitting in front of a screen till my eyes water, and honestly am amazed at how much of the skillset transferred over. The logic and general computer skills go along way towards CNC. I still program, just parts instead of software. I've had some great jobs, but this one is tied with my Air Force stint for #1. Love coming here in the morning.

Machining does seem to attract a large number of grumpy assholes.

When I was no further into it then you I was the same way. I laid in bed thinking about the job I was working on at the time. I couldn't believe I was getting paid to do what I considered fairly easy work that was fun. So yeah I took it home. Actually I lived it for a long time.

I mean after all this company had machines you didn't have to crank by hand and I was bound and determined to learn how make them move and all without cam to boot. I would have given my left nut to have had a place like this to ask my ignorant stupid programming questions.

I hope the enthusiasm stays with you and fun last your whole career. Because I had it and loved what I was doing. Again I couldn't see me happy doing something else but I'm just bored to death with it. I make a good living doing it.

My guess is is in 20 years you'll be done watching YouTube machinist and possibly achieved the grumpy asshole status and wonder what the heck happened. Lol...

We'll just have to check back later? Good luck! And I mean that....:)

Brent

OR.....
Machining turns courteous, mild mannered folks INTO
grumpy assholes...
Thank God there are none on this forum!

There are a Few courteous, mild mannered folks here..
Not none, as you were thankful for.

I think I saw that same one, and was also a little spooked by how comfortable he is changing workpieces with the spindle on. He was also changing out parts in the 5C collet in his lathe without shutting anything off, which isn't something I would personally be doing.

It's safe. I've done it a million times. Are you going to sit there and wait for the spindle to start and stop? F no... :D

When I was younger and prone to drinking and partying a lot more, I used to always love the metal fabrication and woodworking (mostly woodworking) shows on PBS or some cable channels the morning after. Spend a couple hours 'recuperating' and drinking gatorade, sitting on the couch watching New Yankee Workshop, This Old House, and sometimes the silly automotive fabrication shows on Spike TV or Discovery or something (I can't remember those too well)

There was one carpenter who used mostly hand tools making furniture, some very fine, some basic and Amish looking. He'd occasionally do a show about how to make a certain piece of a boat, and go to some museum that showed older examples and how they "used-ta" make 'em. It was neat. Super calming shows that were easy to watch and listen to, even with a hangover, while still being intellectually interesting.

I've had a love/hate relationship with wood. I really like wood furniture and exposed-wood-beam house framing. I fucking love the trend in huge laminate wood beam construction. It's gorgeous, imo. But the 'hate' part is that it's a lot more difficult than metal. Metal is easy to fix. Or maybe I just have more experience with it, is all. You can beat it around, heat it up, weld on it, grind on it, or you can do uber precise work that results in perfect function the way you intended. It's predictable. Wood... fucking hate it. I also don't have the nicest in wood tools, so I have to use pretty rudimentary methods that are probably more prone to fucking up in the hands of a novice.

Now that I don't have cable or even over-the-air TV hooked up, I should maybe start my early days with a cup of coffee and cast youtube to my TV and watch the machinist videos like that. I've never watched any of Robin Renzetti but it sounds like it's up my alley.

I watched a couple of John W's pal at Oculus (mentioned a page or two back, I forget his name) and I liked his stuff. I like the way his brain is wired, which comes across in his methods and explanation. Might have to watch a lil more of him, too.

This is funny, because I have more years as a carpenter than as a machinist, and I find wood way more forgiving... Mainly because you're usually not working to any tolerance tighter than "Does it look good?"... I've done those big laminate open beam houses.... Doesn't matter if that 12ft board is bowed by 18" in 144".... You're going to bend it into place, and screw it down, and it's not going to have enough force to pull your screws out. Period. Wood, even of reasonable thickness (like a 2x4) can be bent under human power and secured with construction super glue. I sure as hell wouldn't want to bend a 2x4 piece of 17-4 and hold it in place with Liquid Nails.

I loved being a carpenter, and woodworking, from when I had my first 8" Jet lathe in my garage and made pens and bowls at 14, to when I was doing multimillion dollar builds/remodels at 24.... But man, I enjoy machining so much more.

I just bought my first house, they're building it now. I'm already planning my "man cave" (AKA garage).... There's going to be a wood lathe, a metal lathe, and a bridgeport, eventually. I showed my girlfriend a picture of a Bridgeport and told her "I'm going to have one of these in the garage someday"... She looked and asked "Is that a lathe?" (She at least listens to me a little bit when I talk about work) to which I replied "You're cute."

This is funny, because I have more years as a carpenter than as a machinist, and I find wood way more forgiving... Mainly because you're usually not working to any tolerance tighter than "Does it look good?"... I've done those big laminate open beam houses.... Doesn't matter if that 12ft board is bowed by 18" in 144".... You're going to bend it into place, and screw it down, and it's not going to have enough force to pull your screws out. Period. Wood, even of reasonable thickness (like a 2x4) can be bent under human power and secured with construction super glue. I sure as hell wouldn't want to bend a 2x4 piece of 17-4 and hold it in place with Liquid Nails.

I loved being a carpenter, and woodworking, from when I had my first 8" Jet lathe in my garage and made pens and bowls at 14, to when I was doing multimillion dollar builds/remodels at 24.... But man, I enjoy machining so much more.

I just bought my first house, they're building it now. I'm already planning my "man cave" (AKA garage).... There's going to be a wood lathe, a metal lathe, and a bridgeport, eventually. I showed my girlfriend a picture of a Bridgeport and told her "I'm going to have one of these in the garage someday"... She looked and asked "Is that a lathe?" (She at least listens to me a little bit when I talk about work) to which I replied "You're cute."

If you want to fiddle around with machines, follow your plan.

If you want to make stuff, get CNC.

ROBRENZ
Robin Renzetti,

the machinist channel for already advance machinist.

PURE GOLD!

I watched one of his videos. I don't know how can you stand it. Get your parts to run true in a non adjustable chuck. YOU MUST WATCH THIS! - YouTube There was nothing advanced about that.

I couldn't watch the whole thing and just skipped around it. 32 minutes to painfully walk through what you could cover in a minute and a half, .....or 15 seconds with a couple of good photos and a paragraph.

I have no issue with his machining competence, but that video, along with most I see, are just unwatchable given they take 10x as long as needed

On the general topic of Youtube machinists & machining resources on the internet, I think they can be both a great resource and a dangerous form of information. I am 24 years old, self-taught, and have owned my own CNC shop for coming up on two years. I am of a generation that is lucky enough to have the internet as a resource when looking for information or trying to learn something. With that said, everything on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt (and not just when it comes to machining). I think it is important to have the ability to filter information and pick out what is correct and valuable. I have seen videos of "veteran" machinists intentionally blowing up an endmill on a Bridgeport to "show you what not to do" - meanwhile they are wearing sandals, no safety glasses, etc. as chunks of a 1/2'' endmill fly past them. It's those types of things that I think anyone should be intelligent enough to see something like that and realize that no matter how old or good you are, that's a stupid idea.

The two things that I find most damaging/misrepresented by Youtube/internet machinists:
1. It is often not explained how dangerous manufacturing/machining can be, especially for someone who has little-to-no experience. If you don't know what you are doing around industrial equipment, you can VERY easily be maimed/killed in less than a second. That goes for nearly all fabrication equipment, not just a 1,000 ton stamping press. I have no problem with people buying machines and teaching themselves, but you need to be VERY careful and VERY aware that you are an inexperienced individual working around dangerous equipment.
2. They often lead people to believe, through their videos and words, that machining is an easy skill and anyone can have a shop full of machines. That's why we end up with threads here titled "Want to start a shop!" and the first post is "I have no money and no experience, how many new machines can I buy and how soon can I make a million dollars?"

Other than that, I am all for Youtube/internet machinists. The internet is an amazing tool to spread helpful information among people of all experiences in the industry.

I watched one of his videos. I don't know how can you stand it. Get your parts to run true in a non adjustable chuck. YOU MUST WATCH THIS! - YouTube There was nothing advanced about that.

I couldn't watch the whole thing and just skipped around it. 32 minutes to painfully walk through what you could cover in a minute and a half, .....or 15 seconds with a couple of good photos and a paragraph.

I have no issue with his machining competence, but that video, along with most I see, are just unwatchable given they take 10x as long as needed
Because that's not Robin.

That's Jo Pi. This is Robin:
https://m.youtube.com/user/ROBRENZ
Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

It's safe. I've done it a million times. Are you going to sit there and wait for the spindle to start and stop? F no... :D
By the time my lathe spindle stops the collet is loosened and the part taken out. I grab the collet closer handwheel as it spins down to loosen.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back