What's new
What's new

1.5 hp J-head motor - winding resistance?

aribert

Cast Iron
Greetings all:

Lots of background - questions at the end. I sold a 1.5 hp vari-drive J-head motor on eBay a few months ago. Prior to selling, I ran the motor powered by static phase converter & 3 hp idler. Motor ran well (without a load), I took a video of the motor running that was part of the listing. Shortly after the sale,the buyer contacted me and said the electrician could not get the motor to run - I responded by asking the buyer how he was generating 3 phase - radio silence. Now several months later the eBay buyer states that he finally got an industrial electrician to wire it up but the motor has 14 ohm resistance on the windings - the electrician is telling him that the windings should have 2 to 3 ohm. Message below.

"After a lengthy process in finding the right electrician, we just hired an industrial electrician who specializes in heavy equipment machine shop repair. The motor you sold us has 14 ohms on each winding set. The original motor has 2-3 ohms per winding set. The motor we bought from you does not start up and there is 3 phase power. Same connection, the old motor starts up no issue (has bearing noise which is why I wanted it replaced).
The electrician stated that your motor has unusually high ohms and since it will not start up is bad."

I am fairly confident I sold the buyer an good motor. Reading between the lines, I am guessing the first (presumably residential electrician) hooked the motor up to 220 single phase. How likely is it that they fried the motor on single phase? What would a typical resistance be between windings on a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor? BTW, I pulled out a 1.5 hp 3 phase fan motor I had laying around (have never powered the motor up) and the resistance between windings runs 4 to 4.3 ohms.

Several months later? I'd tell him to pound sand. especially if you noted it was sold "As Is".

Sounds like he had no idea what power it needed and likely tried to run it single phase possibly damaging windings and months later thinks you owe him something.

I don't think 14ohm sounds too out of the question from some 3 phase motors I've tested. Especially if all the winds are even in their resistance. I haven't measured the 1.5HP on my Series 1 HD yet. If I have time tonight I'll see if I can figure out where to measure it in the control cabinet.

The resistance on my 2 hp B'port motor between legs wired for 220 v is 2.7 to 2.8 ohms. This motor is is almost new. The forward/reverse switch is in series. Should have minimal effect.

Paul

This ebay community article says a buyer has 30 days after delivery to open a dispute.

My Excello 1.5 HP motor measures 2.3 & 2.4 ohms between legs when configured for 220V. I can't imagine how they could get 14 ohms consistently across all 3 windings. Failures don't tend to be neat and consistent.

The buyer didn't fulfill his responsibility to himself to to evaluate the motor promptly.

I would suggest that the buyer uses his original stator and your end bells with rotor and better bearings. A PITA but he would have a working motor. This isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
Buyer implies that his original motor worked OK but needed bearings - I would have bought two bearings for the motor instead of buying another motor.

Thank you all for taking readings - the 2 to 4 ohm seems to be in the typical range.

JBTR - thanks for the link.

I responded to the buyer that I sent him a functional motor (with a video of the motor starting/running/stopping/restarting) and when he communicated with me that the motor did not run that I immediately questioned how he was generating 3 phase and that he never responded for 2 months. I also mentioned that in his recent message that his second electrician was industrial experienced and that it implies that his first "electrician" wired the motor to single phase 220. No response since.

I originally had posted the motor for sale on this forum. See post #6 - I had a gut feeling things might go sideways: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...eport-2j-milling-machine.413940/#post-4090377

Back