What's new
What's new

Adding Through Sub Parts Discharge to Lathe

Ox

Diamond
From my vantage point, this seems to be a highly under utilized option in handling parts. This doesn't work for all parts of course, it just depends on the geometry of the part, but it works for ... many ... It's simple, and cheap. Does not use any air, hydraulics, prox's, or PLC.

The machine that I am working with here is a Nakamura WT300 that we recently got in. As shown in this pic, there was already bracketry behind the sub-spindle that looked to me like it was made with intentions of using this method. I have Hardinge's that have a casting specifically made for this, so it seemed logical that Nakamura has this intent as well, and they may have, but the folks that I asked about it at the dealer did not seem to know about it.

If you notice, there is a bracket above and below the spindle C/L with 2 bolt holes each. This is where I anchor my dead spindle liner. I run a length of 2" PVC up in there that does NOT turn, and we just pack parts in there.

DSCN3488.JPG

Then I made a bushing that screws into the back of my collet. And another bushing that gets fastened to the back of the sub-spindle bracketry and anchors it in. This liner will follow the fore/aft movements of the sub. Also, you can see the one pic where I have the bushing over the liner, and the liner has been sleeved down a few times for smaller parts.

DSCN3490.JPG

DSCN3491.JPG

DSCN3495.JPG

Then you need another pipe for the first to telescope into that is anchored to the superstructure, and that one does NOT move at all. Your liner needs to be long enough that in the full fwd location of the sub-spindle, that it does NOT pull out of the second tube. Then you put your parts tray underneath that.

At one time many years ago, I actually had a parts chute built that would route the parts down to the floor level, but just setting the bucket up on top of the chip cart seems to work the best / easier.

DSCN3529.JPG

DSCN3531.JPG

DSCN3530.JPG

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

We just got a Samsung that doesn't have a sub ejector, this might be the ticket here. Thanks for posting.

Can't say about that, but it could be a concern?
I've never noticed anything, but...

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I had a sim idea on a much smaller part using a transvector air amplifier. After thinking it through I realized that it needed a huge short air blast requiring an accumulator close by. Other big issue was the exit speed of the part could be ballistic if the extraction tube was the correct size.

I have an LNS Blaze Air for sale cheap if that's what you want.

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Back