What's new
What's new

An example of improper behavior on the D11 machine

Gloryrates500

Aluminum
After running a program, the vice was blown off with compressed air to clean it to insert a new raw material.
The mechanical probe was exchanged for the Z zero point and the Z axis was zeroed in the "Preset".
When the program, which had already run 22 times, was started again, the Z axis moved into the work piece at rapid traverse :hitsthefan:where it was in X and Y :eek::eek::eek:
The program should actually have run on X/Y coordinates outside of the work piece :wall:
Greater damage could be prevented by reacting carefully to the pots.:crazy:

quill raised to free the cutter:ill:
it is always good to extend the quill a bit so that you can free the milling cutter from an awkward situation if the worst comes to the worst

after that, it was no longer possible to change the operating mode or make any entries either on the keyboard or on the soft keys etc.
keyboard frozen.:scratchchin:

Q1/Q2 off

main switch Q1/Q2 actuated

self test green OKs and no errors
segment display NSV 0.0
D11 indicator diodes green
drives can be switched on
jog axes with the keys (X/Y/Z) normal

Operating mode 1 , F8 "Continue" for reference travel ........ without reaction:scratchchin:

also otherwise no operating mode change or other inputs via keyboard possible
all axes can be moved via keys......

Q1/Q2 switched off
terminal opened
visual check for any problems with a lamp 🔦....... negative :scratchchin:
no broken cable and no suspicious spots on the NBP board....:skep:

NBP board replaced🛠️🪛🔧

checked the seat of the ribbon cable to the keyboard :skep:
main switch Q1/Q2 actuated
self test green OKs and no errors
segment display NSV 0.0
D11 indicator diodes green

drives can be switched on
operating mode 1 , F8 "Continue" for reference travel without reaction :bawling:
also no operating mode change or other inputs via keyboard possible:cryin::cryin:
all axes can be moved via keys......

called Martin......:ill:
he first reminded me that "compressed air" at CNC machines is very bad :codger:- almost a reason for termination:nono:!!! :ill:

casually looked at the keyboard during the call :blahblah: and noticed that the Z key on the keyboard seemed to be pressed!?!:skep:

a 42CrMo4 chip is stuck in the keyboard so that the "Z" key is permanently pressed?!?
the last thing I did was to press the Z button for the new Z zero point....:nutter:
chip removed aaaand.....
the machine works perfectly again immediately :Ithankyou::D

laughed heartily with Martin :cheers:

notice- compressed air is veeeery evil :)
and check if a key on the keyboard is stuck. it seems to have a big impact....

Just a few days ago I was wondering why I could not activate the control on my machine (FP4AT D11) with the green button on the console.
I started to dig deep into the SHIFT-INFO I/O data, before noticing that I had not powered up the cabinet!!!
This sounds impossible, but I have a separate power supply to my monitor, so it gets turned on the moment the control sends signals during boot-up. For this the cabinet does not need power.
This way I can work on the control with the machine side being off.

I also still need some time to be able to talk about my repeated self inflicted tool changer arm hitting y axis incidents. There is a reason the service menu is password protected.

a 42CrMo4 chip is stuck in the keyboard so that the "Z" key is permanently pressed?!?
Which kind of KB is that?!? Can't a "better" industrial KB be easily fitted?
Incidentally, a decent boot self-test firmware would warn on stuck keys.

I think that most sensible machinists try to avoid blowing air for as much it's possible, but in the end one must know that chips and swarf will go anywhere, anyway.

I put another chip in for demonstration. It's not immediately apparent when looking directly at the keyboard from above.
It's easier to see from this perspective.
And it actually blocks the whole keyboard so that no more inputs are possible...

D11 Keyboard-Chip.jpg

Because of my ignorance I have asked what is probably known to anyone else here. Dialog 11 keyboard is not a membrane type, keys have large travel hence can easily get blocked by debris. I do not even want to think about spills. That's a bit of a pity, because membrane keyboards have been around for 50 years. And by the look of it, replacing with an off the shelf one could be incredibly difficult, and pointless as there are so many other buttons and controls which could also get stuck. Of course, membrane keyboards have a terrible feedback. Maybe that's the reason why, for as much I can see, Deckel never used them.

I probably overdid it a bit with M7 (additional lubricating impulse) in a program (thousands of G1 "tiny steps" from CAM) and emptied the slideway oil-container.

After the container was pumped out during the program run, the machine logically went into error (1101 and 1107)

I refilled the container and pressed F7 "Lubricate axles" several times (10x....?)

K11 always attracts...

But every time the lubrication cycle ended, the system went back to fault (1101/1107) (pressure switch S31)

The D11 was switched off several times, reference points could be approached as long as the first lubricating pressure was built up.

But since the system had apparently drawn air, it kept going on and off.

I think I got the air out again through the many F7 lubrication pulses - now it's running again.

Note: If the tank was empty, patiently pressurize the lines 20-30 times with F7 until S31 is ok...

I have now reduced the lubricating impulses in the program because a good 2L slideway oil on the machine foot is not that great either.

It also seems to be possible to crash the D11 with questionable program lines....

Sometimes I work on parts that have already gone through many stages of production. So that I don't cause any damage to these parts, which are now my responsibility, I install some break point lines in the program with M0 to check certain positions from there before the actual processing begins.
If I no longer need these points, I sometimes simply set 0 in the X Y coordinates.

So the following command lines came about
N20 G0 Z100
N30 G0*2 X0 Y0
N40 G0 X0 Y0
N50 G0*2 X0 Y0 Z10 M0 [comment]

Actually nonsense and nothing special.....

Please note, however, that this code section contains changing "non-interpolated" and "interpolated" rapid traverse commands without a position change!!!
This is exactly what seems to be causing a crash on line N50 on my machine.

On line N50 my screen just freezes without an error message and I hear circuit breakers switching in the machine cabinet.
A look at the D11 reveals that the NPC and NGE are set to error and the NSV display is set to 1.1

NPC-NGE-Error-NSV1.1-kl.jpg

In this case, everything points to a problem with the NGE graphics card!

At first, of course, I thought it was a hardware failure and mentally went through the troubleshooting steps.
Later in a chat with Max and Martin, the suggestion came to initially just simulate a more complex program (3 1/2h) in test-mode with many G1 micro steps and lots of complex graphics.

Everything without any problems.

After that, the same complex program was actively executed on the air.

Also without any problems.

Only when I wanted to run this crappy program with the positioning leftovers, the D11 immediately shut down again.

After cleaning up the program so that only one line contained the X0 and Y0 pre-positioning, everything ran as usual again without any failures or error displays.

Learned something again.
Maybe it's just my particular machine or the software versions.

Who knows

Back