What's new
What's new

ATC over travel error on Fanuc 21M

Do you have a parts book for this machine? If you can look at a breakdown of the tool changer, it might give you an idea of where switches might be. Those switches might be bad or something might have moved off of them. It could be something as simple as an arm that got moved out of position and needs to be pushed back.

You said there's no air to the machine. Are you positive it's not needed for the tool change? I would hook some air up to it.

On the screen with the ladder diagram, there should be a soft key you can push to switch the display mode so that it shows the addresses, not what they're labeled. That's more informative to me because it tells you what they are. Anything starting with an X is an actual, physical switch.

Do you have a maintenance or operator manual with the machine? There might be a tool changer recovery procedure in there.

When you changed 1300, bit 2, you said it just sat there. How far did it get?

That's about all I can think of other than finding someone who knows these specific machines or actually getting into the machine and taking covers off to find what's going on.

Do you have a parts book for this machine?
I don't, and haven't been able to find one online/ebay/etc..
You said there's no air to the machine. Are you positive it's not needed for the tool change?
I don't know, the compressor seems to have been sold a while ago. Was just mentioning it in case it 100% was needed.
On the screen with the ladder diagram, there should be a soft key you can push to switch the display mode so that it shows the addresses, not what they're labeled
Good to know, will do that next time.
Do you have a maintenance or operator manual with the machine?
I don't, same problem as the parts book. I have the parameters, atc, schematic, ladder diagram and M codes.
When you changed 1300, bit 2, you said it just sat there. How far did it get?
The same position as last time, Z=140.00

Thanks for the help, at this point I'm just going to have to accept that it won't get fixed until after I move it to my place and run power to my garage. I would assume around Oct/Nov ish hopefully. I'll revive this thread at that point.

I don't, and haven't been able to find one online/ebay/etc..

I don't know, the compressor seems to have been sold a while ago. Was just mentioning it in case it 100% was needed.

Good to know, will do that next time.

I don't, same problem as the parts book. I have the parameters, atc, schematic, ladder diagram and M codes.

The same position as last time, Z=140.00

Thanks for the help, at this point I'm just going to have to accept that it won't get fixed until after I move it to my place and run power to my garage. I would assume around Oct/Nov ish hopefully. I'll revive this thread at that point.
there isnt any air to this machine? uh how is it not tripping a low pressure alarm? haven't seen a machine yet that hasn't needed air for the ATC. most are used to actuate the rotation or at least the release of the clamp in the spindle which needs to happen first before a tool change.

Last edited:
Follow up on this thread, I got power to my machine this past weekend and reassembled it.

While removing the Z axis servo, I noticed that it looked like the previous owner on purpose had removed the top bolt and tilted the 2 outside sensors backwards so that they would never detect the position of the Z axis over travel in order to not actually do a tool change. I realized this later ...

miyano.jpg

I bolted them in correctly and the alarm did not get triggered and the tool changer rotated but not fully. It stopped somewhere in between the tool locations and threw an alarm that I'm currently stumped with but I will leave that for another thread.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back