What's new
What's new

belts for lathes

todd goff

Hot Rolled
I am looking for some ideas on how to replace those old aggravating leather flat belts on some of my lathes. Seems like every time I get ready to use a lathe the belts breaks or something else goes wrong with it. I am leaning towards putting about 3 of the v-belts on the machine that you can take apart and then put back together (forget who makes them.) If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Most woodworking supply houses like Woodcraft,or Woodworkers supply carry the red belts with no metal rivet at each link.I bought some more serious stuff at an industrial machinery supply,Empire Mach.,Newport News,Va. many years ago.I don't know if they are still around.Check with MSC Co.,Atlanta Georgia mach.Divison.I have no idea how big your lathes are.If 9" Southbend or similar,the red ones would probably be enough.

I've been using Twist-Lock adjustable V-belt (McMaster-Carr page 1000) on my lathe for several years now. The machine runs smoother than it did before, never slips, and I see almost no wear on the belt. I really like it.

I think it would do fine flipped over, since it's got nothing metallic to cause problems and the material is the same as the side normally in contact with the pulleys.

Roger

Back