What's new
What's new

BK Mikro Tool Break Detection

Machinerer

Cast Iron
Has anyone used this style of tool break detection? How did you like it? Pro's/Con's? We aren't worried about actually setting tools as we have a Zoller Presetter, so a laser is overkill.

I've only used the Contact setters from Renishaw, and lasers.

Haven't used one, but it looks super trick!

The cycle time savings of in-machine break check vs in-magazine break check I imagine it would pay for itself real quick.

Another option is optical tool break detection. I think DMG-MORE$$ has that as an option these days.

Haven't used one, but it looks super trick!

The cycle time savings of in-machine break check vs in-magazine break check I imagine it would pay for itself real quick.

Another option is optical tool break detection. I think DMG-MORE$$ has that as an option these days.
We have lasers on a few of our machines. Is that what you're referring to when you say optical? Or is there something else?

Are you considering the type that is designed for checking the tool in the ATC, and not inside the machine?

I have one of these in a machine: https://www.alloraintl.com/positive-contact-tool-sensors/standard-pcs-tool-sensors/pcs-100-system/

Call it up to an area and fire it. similar to how you would position and run a laser or tool presetter.. It is hooked up to an m-code that fires it. if it fails (swings past broken tool), the m-code doesn't finish and a red light turns on (not setup for a true alarm)

However, I have a newer horizontal that I would love to have tool breakage checker added to the ATC side of things. But that is more complicated.

If you get one, let us know how it works out and how to interface it. I am worried it would require a ladder edit.

Are you considering the type that is designed for checking the tool in the ATC, and not inside the machine?

I have one of these in a machine: https://www.alloraintl.com/positive-contact-tool-sensors/standard-pcs-tool-sensors/pcs-100-system/

Call it up to an area and fire it. similar to how you would position and run a laser or tool presetter.. It is hooked up to an m-code that fires it. if it fails (swings past broken tool), the m-code doesn't finish and a red light turns on (not setup for a true alarm)

However, I have a newer horizontal that I would love to have tool breakage checker added to the ATC side of things. But that is more complicated.

If you get one, let us know how it works out and how to interface it. I am worried it would require a ladder edit.
I am not opposed to any style. I just know that lasers, and Renishaw units are overkill, as we don't need anything for checking length.

I have used "the whip" on DMG MORI Duoblocks before. Worked great. Checks the tool on the way out, then checks it again on the way back in. For a simple pass/fail, they are fast and effective. The resolution is not very high, so I don't think it would work great for micro tools or tools that might get damaged instead of break off. But if you have a laser in the machining envelope too, then you get the best of both worlds.

Not sure why more builders don't offer that option. Was shopping for a five axis cell some years back, and a couple of the super premium brands got upset with me when I asked.

I have used "the whip" on DMG MORI Duoblocks before. Worked great. Checks the tool on the way out, then checks it again on the way back in. For a simple pass/fail, they are fast and effective. The resolution is not very high, so I don't think it would work great for micro tools or tools that might get damaged instead of break off. But if you have a laser in the machining envelope too, then you get the best of both worlds.

Not sure why more builders don't offer that option. Was shopping for a five axis cell some years back, and a couple of the super premium brands got upset with me when I asked.
We used "the whip" on my previous job, while working on Wattsan, and it performed excellent

Back