What's new
What's new

Bolt on fixed jaw vs. solid fixed jaw

turnworks

Cast Iron
Looking to get a pair of 4" reverse milling vises for a new setup. I had planned to go with Kurt either the DX version or versatile lock.

I'm struggling to understand the benefit of the solid fixed jaw. I get the less deflection but at what point will it matter? Only if I'm really cranking down on a work piece that's being held toward the upper part of the jaws?

If I never use a torque wrench to tighten the work piece is the added price of the versatile lock a waste? If I'm mostly going to use soft jaws will it make much of a difference?

Just trying to justify the price difference at this point. Any input would be great. Thanks.

The versatile can be mounted on its side, other than that not too different.
Reverse vise is nice because small parts are still close to you, so you don't reach far in the machine.

Depends on your accuracy requirements. If you want very good repeatability and you are using the fixed jaw as a datum go solid. Iv'e posted here previously about the movement on bolt on jaws. If you are trying to work to .01mm and less they just move too much. When I need absolute repeatability I use a solid jaw grinding vice. I'm going to replace all my bolt on vices with 150mm x 400mm grinding vices on sub plates for this exact reason.

Once I went solid I would never, yes NEVER, use a bolt on fixed jaw carrier. But then I also spent a day trying to reduce the movement on a bolt on jaw carrier on a new Kurt, with no luck. Bolt on jaw carriers on single station vises are inferior by design. If the fixed jaw moving several tenths to thousandths won't be a problem then it does't matter, as much.

Back