What's new
What's new

Bridge reamer question

Bill D

Diamond
I have not used a bridge reamer in decades. For the spiral tapered kind is there any force pulling the bit into the hole? In other words do they pull in and jam like a drill might. Or is it just cutting the sides and the operator has to push inward.
I realize the straight flute ones have no pulling geometry. I am just not sure about the spiral flute type.
Bill D

No because of lh spiral rh cut. I have a bunch of taper pin reamers like that. Great on thru holes like a bridge reamer , pushes the chips out. Not for a blind hole.

I use them all the time to drill stainless. You have no idea how great they are to fix an issue where 2 holes don't line up from a manufacturer item that is 1/8" stainless each piece. Bridge reamer are the best for fixing this.

I have readers from 3/16 to 1 1/2". All spiral flute. The biggest issues is speed vs material vs vertical alignment.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will go ahead and order one to enlarge a hole from 1/2" to 3/4" in wood. I tried doing it with a hand held drill and a metal twist drill. Twisted my wrist bad. Sucks getting old. At least i was not up a ladder.
They must be fun to sharpen.
Bill D.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will go ahead and order one to enlarge a hole from 1/2" to 3/4" in wood. I tried doing it with a hand held drill and a metal twist drill. Twisted my wrist bad. Sucks getting old. At least i was not up a ladder.
Bill D.
Bill D--

Have you considered simply plugging the existing 1/2 inch hole and then drilling the 3/4 inch hole with a Speed-Bore-type spade bit?

John

Bill D.

I’ve used auger bits in a bit brace for that. With pilots. Pilots that I made myself.

The pilots were made from short lengths of brass round, chamfered both ends and blind hole drilled. Blind hole filled with soft solder, which was then itself drilled. When these pilots were screwed onto the pilot threads on an auger bit, they held the auger bit concentric to the hole - enough so to get the bit started. Once started, the auger bit would keep itself centered.

I didn’t use these for through holes, but rather for counterbores for bolt heads in hardwoods. But once the auger bit is started, it should be good for through holes. No screw pilot threads to pull the bit in of course, so you have to push. The pilots didn’t have to be drilled terribly accurately, as they tended to center themselves on the screw threads in use. Can’t remember if I came up with these myself, but more likely copied the idea from somewhere.

Doesn’t take too long for the solder to become wallowed out enough to not fit the threads, but it’s a pretty simple job to melt and drill it again.

Doesn’t take too long for the solder to become wallowed out enough to not fit the threads, but it’s a pretty simple job to melt and drill it again.
Sounds like a good idea. I did something similar when I had to enlarge a hole in sheet metal with a hole saw. Starrett makes opps arbors for hole saws to hold one small saw as a pilot and the bigger one to drill with.
Bill D

I have not used a bridge reamer in decades. For the spiral tapered kind is there any force pulling the bit into the hole? In other words do they pull in and jam like a drill might. Or is it just cutting the sides and the operator has to push inward.
I realize the straight flute ones have no pulling geometry. I am just not sure about the spiral flute type.
Bill D
Bill, sir,
Many years ago my pipe smoking boss on occasion would show up in our machine shop to use a carefully selected bridge reamer to clean out his brier pipe. Using the correct size reamer and twisting by hand I never noticed it grabbing or pulling in, damaging neither his hand or his pipe......just saying.
Bob....not the cat.

I once bought a ton of tapered bridge reamers "LLoyd" brand HSS ...ex army ...up to 2" dia ......massive coup,thought I ......never sold a one ,not one ,and most were scrapped when I sold the yard .........saved six boxes of them ,just in case.........I had a go at grinding the taper out ,still couldnt sell a one ,not one.

The ex army ones are not actual bridge reamers ,they have a lot less taper than a typical bridge reamer .......maybe 1/4" taper in a 2" dia reamer x 12" long flutes .

Back