What's new
What's new

Broken pushbutton, can't find a reolecament, what to do?

CountryBoy19

Stainless
I have a Brodhead Garret 8" shaper I picked up in minty condition for a song! It's a bit smaller than I was looking for but the deal was too good to refuse. Small problem: the start pushbutton in the control box is broken. I've searched for a replacement and no luck. Any advice on how to proceed? I would like to keep the original magnetic starter enclosure and the holes for the buttons are in the cover. 20200828_185559.jpg20200828_185527.jpg20200828_185503.jpg20200828_185438.jpg20200828_185425.jpg

I have a Brodhead Garret 8" shaper I picked up in minty condition for a song! It's a bit smaller than I was looking for but the deal was too good to refuse. Small problem: the start pushbutton in the control box is broken. I've searched for a replacement and no luck. Any advice on how to proceed? I would like to keep the original magnetic starter enclosure and the holes for the buttons are in the cover. View attachment 297969View attachment 297970View attachment 297971View attachment 297972View attachment 297973

Prolly could have been easily a million dollars wealthier had I managed to keep my "original" virginity, avoided the expense of wimmin', as well, but ...

You could spend weeks searching used but good for guts to match, NRI, Mouser, other of the "usual suspects".

But...

The shaper-maker bought-in a common "major maker" commodity item with no "special relationship" to his product. Just whatever the motor needed. Which they also bought-in as a commodity item.

"Go, thou, and do likewise."

Safer, faster, and ultimately not even expensive, given how long they last.

Not exactly the same, but perhaps this place may have parts also: Arrow Hart - RT-021 - Starter | SuperBreakers.net Jim

At under fifty bucks, complete, NEMA enclosed, good paint, size 1, all new, with warranty?

... for a mebbe 50 year life at one dollar a year?

Looks like a wire-and-forget to me!

Bought ignorant LED lights, tank of gas, or a pair of cheap shoes, lately?

Is there a part number molded into the switch?

Finding something like that requires checking listings twice a day and may take a long time. Other alternative is to find something that functions the same electrically and use your original button as an actuator. Probably a microswitch type deal as they often have fairly high current ratings in a compact package and mounting brackets are easy to fab. I've seen many a pendant control where plungers actuated microswitches within the housing.

Is there a part number molded into the switch?

Finding something like that requires checking listings twice a day and may take a long time. Other alternative is to find something that functions the same electrically and use your original button as an actuator. Probably a microswitch type deal as they often have fairly high current ratings in a compact package and mounting brackets are easy to fab. I've seen many a pendant control where plungers actuated microswitches within the housing.

Yes, pictures 3 & 4 the forum flipped them upside down for some reason. I checked fleabay.

They are momentary buttons, one NO (the one I need) and one NC, for the magnetic contactor.

Back