What's new
What's new

Correct Splicing of Wires

olf20

Aluminum
I'm installing a Home Standby Generator in a older home.
Service has been upgraded to 200 amp. In order to get
the correct circuits into the transfer switch and the breaker
box, from the old 100 amp service box, can I just use a 4x4 junction box
and wire nut extra length of wire to the existing circuit wires
to get the wire into the transfer switch and breaker box???
By the way this is my house.
Thanks for any help!
olf20 / Bob

The new service is up to the meter base which I am sure has to be replaced with new 200 amp rated device. From there, it is your job. Why would not replace the old wiring to the old service with the correct size, #3 copper? Regardless of the actual wire, I would NEVER use wire nuts for any permanent electrical wiring. Terminal lugs and or crimp lugs.

Tom

If you must Extend wiring install a box rated for the location(NEMA 1 for general purpose or NEMA 3 for weather resistant) and a setscrew terminal block. As mentioned above use wire size rated for the purpose. I suspect though that the wire between the meter base and the transfer switch will be required by your inspector to be continuous with no splices.

You must wire so that there is no chance of power from the generator of getting back to the incoming lines.

To me that means that all of the branch circuits that will be dual served must be in separate service cabinet from the main box. Three wires are taken from the main box to the transfer switch along with the feed from the generator. The common output then goes to sub service panel.

I hope you were aware of this.

Use your old 100 amp service as the sub service panel with the feed being from the transfer switch. Those circuits that you want to move to the new service box can be spliced, but as you say, they must be in a box for protection. Talk to your electrical inspector. He may let you splice new wiring to the wires to be moved within the old service, then again he may not. In any case I would NOT use wire nuts.

Tom

"can I just use a 4x4 junction box
and wire nut extra length of wire to the existing circuit wires
to get the wire into the transfer switch and breaker box???"

That's how I'd do it. You're not supposed to wire-nut stuff inside
the panelboard and of course it would get real busy if you took those
BRANCH CIRCUITS (emphasis for others) that were in the box, spliced
them in there, and then brought them out to the Xfer switch.

So honestly I cannot think of any other code-approved way to do it
other than bring the EXISTING BRANCH CIRCUITS and pull them out
of the panelboard, and run each into a box where they can be wire-nutted
up to new lines that run to the transfer switch.

In fact in my house the old fusebox was replaced with a modern panelboard,
and the two existing runs of BX cable did not reach. So they terminated those
in a box nearby with a short run to the panelboard.

Bob... is your 'transfer panel' one of the types that has a half-dozen breakers that you connect your critical loads (only those to be driven by the generator) to?

Yes, transfer switch has 16 circuits. I have plenty of
breaker space just need to lengthen some circuits.
I've got the transfer switch installed and a 2" PVC
conduit between new breaker box and transfer switch.
Some circuits are in breaker box, but some have to go
to the transfer switch. It's not a whole home system,
just enough to run the stuff we need.
Thanks for the replies!!
olf20 / Bob

Why not run from the transfer switch to the existing breaker panel and turn the breakers off on circuits you don't need when operating off the genset?
You have to manually operate the transfer switch correct,so just throw the non required breakers off before activating the transfer switch?

If you miss some and overload the generator-it's breaker will blow and you will be aware of the overload and can reduce power consumption as required.

I am concerned about splicing circuits because they will backfeed the original panel and send power back out to the street.

It's automatic. Put the circuits on the transfer switch to the max load
of the generator and everything is automatic.
Got 1/2 the wiring done.
Thanks for the help!!
olf20 / Bob

Back