What's new
What's new

Deckel Tool Cabinets

joaquin suave

Aluminum
I have all but given up hope of finding a Deckel tool cabinet for my FP1 collection, but have come up with an idea for us Deckel collectors on the "wrong side of the pond"...

Would those of you that own FP1, FP2, & FP3 tool cabinets kindly measure the cabinets (in detail por favor) and post them on this thread? I'll gladly model them and send the models with.dfx files ( for NC routeing) to those that desire them.

Will get measurements next time I'm at my shop, but find attached a photo of my solution. I think that you'll want to adapt your particular setup to the actual accessories that you own versus trying to copy the Deckel cabinets. Note also the use of Delrin dovetail slots that match the machine so I can slide the various heads into the cabinet and have them secure. Note also that all the shelves slide out for easy access for my bridge crane...see bottom right shelf which is slid out in photo.

cabinets.jpg

Will get measurements next time I'm at my shop, but find attached a photo of my solution. I think that you'll want to adapt your particular setup to the actual accessories that you own versus trying to copy the Deckel cabinets. Note also the use of Delrin dovetail slots that match the machine so I can slide the various heads into the cabinet and have them secure. Note also that all the shelves slide out for easy access for my bridge crane...see bottom right shelf which is slid out in photo.

View attachment 409547
ok, i'm jealous!! Nice collection!!! (and storage solution too )

jeff

Bridge crane was custom engineered and manufactured, designed to withstand California earthquakes. Had to fit it into very limited head room. Actually installed the support posts inside the walls to save floor space. Also has innovative approach where the bridge rides on top of the support beams to save head room. Photos during construction:

IMG_20190405_161828.jpgIMG_20190405_161512.jpg

The trade-off for max load was engineered. In my case, I didn't need anything more than 1000 lb max, and I needed to minimize the head-room and footprint of the crane, which determines the size of the i-beam and the support columns....more weight capacity, bigger crane components, all driven by engineering calculations. I believe the primary trade-offs were related to the size/length of the horizontal supports as I had a lot of constraints with respect to where the vertical supports could be placed which forced some long horizontal runs. My original idea was to have no mid-span vertical supports but that wasn't doable so I had to put in mid-span supports.

You could have gaines some headroom by putting the hoist as high up as possible The top 1cm below the ceiling For that you have to put it between 2 beams

Different hoist in the last picture ???
Peter

Last edited:
Ignore the hoist shown in the under contruction bridge crane photo, look at the photo showing my Deckel attachment being lifted, and also the last photo showing my head being removed, that is what I'm using, it is a Harrington SHB Ultra-Low Headroom Trolley Hoist, which is about as good as one can get. The moving portion of the hoist goes right up inside the hoist cage, pretty much flush with the i-beam above.

I actually considered duel beam approach and hanging the hoist on top of ibeam, BUT keep in mind the ibeam has about a 1cm clearance from the ceiling so there wasn't any room to take that approach. I spent a HUGE amount of time/money getting the maximal amount of headroom with my very low ceiling. I'm happy with results but there really isn't any more one could do in this situation.

Nice work putting it all together. Thanks for the info. Since I have 2 tables coming I need to do something so I am able too change them out.

A crane is a good solution, but might want to think about an alternative solution.
Since you will need to store one of the tables when the opposite is in service, think about a rack built with casters. make it sort of an "A" frame with the wheels at the ends of the legs of the ":A".The "A's" form the right and left sides of the rack
Make it wide enough so the wheels will clear the width of the base of the machine.
a table mounts to each side (front/back) with the "A" frame on each side.....
Roll the rack up to the machine, with the open side (no table) and attach the machine's table to the open side of the rack. Unbolt the table from the machine....
Roll rack back and turn it around then roll the other table up to the machine....bolt the table in place and release the table from the rack.....store the unused table and rack in the corner.
Cheers Ross

Since you will need to store one of the tables when the opposite is in service, think about a rack built with casters. make it sort of an "A" frame with the wheels at the ends of the legs of the ":A".
That is exactly what I want to make in addition, Beside the two tables, I would like the rack to store the vertical heads, regular and high speed, as well the overarm beam. I have also hopes for a slotting head, but I doubt that will ever realize, so that would be a just a plus. Of course all without any part getting in the way of others while being replaced.
Ross if you can find the time to rough sketch something like that I would be very grateful, and would give back to the community by producing the drawings. The most compact possible, if it gets sophisticated, like rolling trays etc that's no problem. Beside my modest fabrication skills, my friendly blacksmith is literally next door up my shop,.

So the original question if i am not mistaken refereed to Deckel tool cabinets.
Here are some shots of my cabinet.
I call it an FP2 cabinet although i am not sure exactly how one knows...have seen lots of different configurations.
This one was with an FP2 bought off E-bay lots of years ago.....from Reliable....

Tall accessories like the Precision boring head are too tall to fit on the pull out shelf .

Some general dimensions:
The 6 drawers are all 5 1/2" tall.
The narrow drawers are 14" wide
The wider center drawers are 21 1/2" wide.
The entire cabinet is 54" wide and 41 1/2" tall to the bench top not including the perimeter back splash.
The large opening is 24" tall with the pull out shelf mid height.
Large opening has a pull out cover that allows locking up everything...and yes Martin i have the keys.....

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
A few more:

full

full

full

Drawers and pull out shelf are all on ball bearing slides.
Some of the drawers have sides some are open on the sides.
Slotter and riser are sitting in guides that capture the dovetails.
Overarms and in guides , not captured....
All drawers were fitted with wooden forms to hold tooling, some of which i couldn't figure out .
I removed some to get flat drawer bottom for the boring head boxes....
There are two keys and they lock everything including the pull out door that covers the big opening....
Cheers Ross

Last edited:
I also consider this an FP2 cabinet, mine is exactly like this one and came with my FP2 from England. (actually, my grey one had a bad guide on the large shelf and I was too lazy to repair it so I kept a second green one my mate Kyriakos had found. Grey went back to the UK to a dear friend).

I also feel sorry to remove all the wooden forms though they mostly bug me (the ones that are not used as intended), I would have imagined you would have gotten rid of them :).

You don't seem to appreciate 355E collets Ross I see :P

You had advised in the past for a useful modification, a sliding tray for the bottom shelf so that one can access heavy items like tables stored there (or your spiral milling attachment) and easily have the crane pull them up. It's still in the list, it does have to be very low profile since it's kind of tight there, I'll make it at some point I hope.

BR,
Thanos

Back