What's new
What's new

Does anyone sell soft R8 blanks?

He is looking for a solid end mill holder, not a collet. I doubt they are available as such.

While I won't rule them out, I cannot remember seeing emergency R8 collets. The need is minimal as they are used for toolholding, not workholding as a 5C collet is.

Interesting, but they are probably not applicable to his needs. The usual R8 collet is bored to something around 3/4" ID for most of it's length and a threaded plug installed in the end for the drawbar. Only short section of the gripping end is to the size of the end mill. The reduced wall in the upper section is to allow the collet to grip the end mill.

In asking the same question on the HSM board, he mentions the Gorton collet has a 5/8" body diameter.

Interesting, but they are probably not applicable to his needs. The usual R8 collet is bored to something around 3/4" ID for most of it's length and a threaded plug installed in the end for the drawbar. Only short section of the gripping end is to the size of the end mill. The reduced wall in the upper section is to allow the collet to grip the end mill.

In asking the same question on the HSM board, he mentions the Gorton collet has a 5/8" body diameter.

Back