What's new
What's new

Error 61

rimcanyon

Diamond
I have a consistent error 61 that shows up whenever I press the tool change button. It first started during a program run. The first tool change went fine, but the second one would not clear the white tool change light after doing the tool change, and error 61 appeared on the console. However, I could repeatedly do a tool change because the tool change light was on, but it did not clear the error. I tried running the program from start, and when the first tool change came up, error 61 shows up and the tool change light did not come on. I also tried a manual tool change, and as soon as the TC button is pressed error 61 appears. I tried a full reboot, power cycle of the machine, no help, same problem. I tried switching to horizontal mode before starting the machine, same problem. I swapped the tool change control pendant for another, no help. Any ideas?

OK, there are two matching pairs of cards in the PC, circled below:

IMG_3422.jpeg

Also, the pair on the right have different cable connections (the right card has one cable at the bottom, the one on the left two):

IMG_3423.jpeg

While I am at it, it looks like I should replace a capacitor (the capacitor on the right appears to be leaking). What is the purpose of these?:

IMG_3426.jpeg

The PC is a PC2 BTW:

IMG_3425.jpeg

Just flip/flop the two cards on the right.
Pretty sure that is where the driver for the tool change is.

If that swap does not correct the problem ( move the issue to another device) try flip/flopping the other pair.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross. Strangely enough the machine is working right now. When I ran the program this morning, the second tool change failed, same issue. So I went to mode 4 and tool change was working. Then reran the program and had no problem with tool changes. It has been working fine for about an hour. Nothing its ever simple.

Ok so I looked at the prints and the machine.
If you press the tool change button ( white) it flashes.
Look at the PC. The LED at X52 Lamp #8 will be flashing and X 52
Lamp #1 is lit. . ( board NEA90)
Those are the outputs to that lamp and enabling the tool change.
That board is the first one to look at if you have the issue again.
Cheers Ross

Last edited:
Rich, thanks for jumping in. Yes, it is your old control. The caps look good, I was going by the stains. Nice to have one less thing to fix.

No, it has been in use every day for about a month. The control gets shut down every evening.

What is the other pair of boards for in the PC? The ones with all the LED’s to the right of the NEA90’s?

The LED’s show outputs to various devices/relays.
There is a listing in the Orange book ( will need translation) that tells what each LED drives.
Good help with troubleshooting.

Cheers Ross

Rimcanyon,

I'm not sure if I was able to PM you or not, but I am curious if you ever sold that Wade cross slide for a Wade 94 / 98? It was a few years back, so I figure it has sold.

If it's still available I am interested. I picked up my first metal lathe recently (Wade 98). It would be great to have one that fits properly.

Glad to hear your machine is working properly again. I hope it stays that way.

Btw,

Someone impersonating you DID offer to sell me that slide. I asked them to call me prior to paying for it and then noticed his username "rimcanyan". Clearly a scammer.

You may already be well aware of this nonsense, but I hadn't heard anything about it from you so wanted to check in.

Thanks,

David

Back