What's new
What's new

Flat spindle noses

jhearons

Cast Iron
Hi,

Does anybody have a source for information on flat spindle noses (100mm flat, 140mm flat, etc)? I have looked high and low and cannot find anything.

Thanks,
Justin

My crystal ball is in the shop being re-tuned. A flat spindle nose in regards to what? Lathe, mill, or maybe the flat nose tribe? For all we know, your asking your question with the totally wrong terminology. Google shows zero using what your calling it as a search term. So it's either that incorrect term or something so obscure and ancient you'll need an Egyptologist to figure it out. Provide a picture or at least rough drawing of what you have and then maybe someone can answer the question.

My crystal ball is in the shop being re-tuned. A flat spindle nose in regards to what? Lathe, mill, or maybe the flat nose tribe? For all we know, your asking your question with the totally wrong terminology. Google shows zero using what your calling it as a search term. So it's either that incorrect term or something so obscure and ancient you'll need an Egyptologist to figure it out. Provide a picture or at least rough drawing of what you have and then maybe someone can answer the question.

I read his post earlier and was wondering too, never seen a flat nose spindle on a lathe, but there is a lot I have not seen. I was wondering if he was referring to short taper spindles, but yes a pic would help.

I'm sure all is depicted and dimensioned in Machinery's Handbook.

Look under "spindle" in the index.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ck-collet-photos-307409/?highlight=100mm+nose

Here is a link to a post with a photo. It is a correct term and it is definitely not in need of an Egyptologist. I hesitated to post this in General but I thought it might get more exposure than if I posted in CNC. I won't make that mistake again. Hopefully you get your crystal ball back soon so you will be able to determine if you are qualified to respond to a thread. Have a great weekend!

Probably, but I’m not dealing with Don’s machine. We have 9 machines with flat 100mm noses and they are all in need of collet noses and/or jaw chucks. We have several machines with flat 140mm and finding chucks for them is as easy as breathing. 100mm not so much.

Monarch had their proprietary "somewhat flat" spindle nose in the thirties - and promptly discontinued it when the L and D types were standardized

If you see an old Monarch with the chuck literally bolted and nutted to the spindle nose its possible you are looking at one

Here is an old Monarch drawing scan showing D type on bottom and Monarch Flange on top

Front of Spindle CM.jpg

Monarch had their proprietary "somewhat flat" spindle nose in the thirties - and promptly discontinued it when the L and D types were standardized

I took delivery of a DS&G 17" lathe last week that has a flat spindle nose with a cylindrical projection where the D series has a tapered one. 4 studs from the chuck backplate through holes in the spindle nose to hold the chucks on.

Now I need to make some back plates. Probably the first move will be to make a pattern and get some cast I guess as I don't feel like carving up 2" thick plate to rough shape with an angle grinder.

PDW

Yes,flat /flanged/bolted spindles are quite standard in British lathes up until the awful D series began to infest the cosmos....this coincides with the decline and fall of the UK machine tool industry.I dont think there is any standard size,you simply machine a new chuck to suit the spindle ,and drill and tap four stud holes.

Yes,flat /flanged/bolted spindles are quite standard in British lathes up until the awful D series began to infest the cosmos....this coincides with the decline and fall of the UK machine tool industry.I dont think there is any standard size,you simply machine a new chuck to suit the spindle ,and drill and tap four stud holes.
Basically what I ended up doing. Works OK for a 4 jaw but the tolerance needed for a decent fit on a good 3 jaw is a real pain getting the chuck on/off the parallel spigot section. Needs a small jib crane.

Might have to make the 3 jaw an 'adjust-true' type so I can ease the spigot tolerance a bit.

D series spindle noses are SO much nicer to deal with.

PDW

Hi,

Does anybody have a source for information on flat spindle noses (100mm flat, 140mm flat, etc)? I have looked high and low and cannot find anything.

Thanks,
Justin
I have 2 takisawa tt-2100g twin spindle lathes that have 140 F spindle noses. When I mention this information to royal or hardinge that look at me like a confused hound dog. I've had no luck adapting collet systems to these machines. Bastard spindle type.

I have 2 takisawa tt-2100g twin spindle lathes that have 140 F spindle noses. When I mention this information to royal or hardinge that look at me like a confused hound dog. I've had no luck adapting collet systems to these machines. Bastard spindle type.
You should be able to get Quick grip collet noses with a 140 flat nose. We have 3 of them from Royal. I don’t know about C or J collets.

Back