What's new
What's new

fuzz when milling polypropylene

DanielG

Stainless
We make some milled parts out of polypropylene. One of the issues we're having on the latest batch is a lot of fuzzy residue left behind on the pocket walls. Cleaning up the walls when we deburr is taking a lot of time.

• We are using new, sharp tools, mostly with an aluminum grind.
  • The fuzzy residue is attached to the wall, you can't wipe it off, but need to use a deburring tool
  • I think the problem is worse with this batch of material than previous batches.
  • Our finish pass is .015", 5000rpm, 40ipm with a 3/8" 3-flute YG-1 Alupower HPC endmill
Any suggestions?

I can't help on the milling & tooling side, but you could look into using a CO2 ice gun to save time on deburring. I use them for cleaning critical surfaces but the manufacturers also claim that they will deburr plastic parts with no damage. google "dry ice deburring" or similar to learn more.

Try changing cut direction. Climb to conventional or vice versa.

.015 finish does seem like enough. Have the endmill skimming by without good engagement. Try is around .030 and see what you get.

If (note if) the cutter's been used for anythng other than plastic, it will not leave a good finish !!!

Try using ''down cut'' wood router cutters, I can't remember the big US name in router cutters but I'm sure they do specials for plastics.

GOT IT ;- ONSRUD

Last edited:
Cool the plastic before machining, the fuzz is brittle when cold and breaks off, spot cooler on the cutter even
Mark

When my grandson got busted in 8th grade for selling fidgit spinners he was making on our homebuilt CNC the deburring was a quick pass with a propane torch and the fuzz went poof. A torch with a flame spreader nozzle is better. Flame polishing is also done on the edges of plexiglass to get clear edge.

Thanks everyone. Switching to conventional for the finish pass makes a big difference.

I've been trying to convince the customer they should buy a dry ice blaster, but no luck yet.

You might try using one of Harvey's plastic specific endmills. We use them here for cutting Delrin and they work great.

I used them on a previous polypropylene job. I didn't find that much of a difference from the YG-1's. We also run some bullnose sizes that aren't available from Harvey.

Back