What's new
What's new

How does a well taken care of Harding HLV (non H, narrow bed, 1950s) compare with an HLV-H ?

The best price to pay is the least amount possible.

Later model narrow bed HLV have nearly all the same features as HLV-H.

The narrow HLV lathes are nice to use and quite capable, I wouldn’t shy from one that’s in good shape and a good price.

The best price to pay is the least amount possible.

Later model narrow bed HLV have nearly all the same features as HLV-H.

The narrow HLV lathes are nice to use and quite capable, I wouldn’t shy from one that’s in good shape and a good price.

I'm glad to hear that, cause I just got it, it's now sitting in my parking lot, the machine looks like a work of art !

Today's goal is to get it in the basement, ... yes, you hear that right, home shop wannabe machinists have extra challenges !

But on the flip side of that coin, we have no bosses or customers to satisfy !

Nice, congrats. Post a pic

Be careful moving it, look into how the bed is mounted to cabinet. It’s 3 points that not designed for lifting. Lift it by the cabinet, not the bed.

If both models work in a equivalent state yoiu would not be able to tell if part 1 came from which

But you do have to ask this question:

Why did the Brothers decide that the width of the lathe bed should be stepped up by 50% (roughly 4 to 6 inches)?

If both models work in a equivalent state yoiu would not be able to tell if part 1 came from which

But you do have to ask this question:

Why did the Brothers decide that the width of the lathe bed should be stepped up by 50% (roughly 4 to 6 inches)?

My uneducated guess would be that a wider bed adds rigidity, to resist rotation of the saddle while cutting.

Perhaps it only matter when cutting more aggressive depths ?

My uneducated guess would be that a wider bed adds rigidity, to resist rotation of the saddle while cutting.

Perhaps it only matter when cutting more aggressive depths ?
A cigar.

I think the Brothers were responding to customer experiences. Maybe their own because they obviously tested their products.

Another factor could be people wanting to cut larger work on the machine.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that, cause I just got it, it's now sitting in my parking lot, the machine looks like a work of art !

Today's goal is to get it in the basement, ... yes, you hear that right, home shop wannabe machinists have extra challenges !

But on the flip side of that coin, we have no bosses or customers to satisfy !
IDK about that last part. The boss might not pay me much, but she won't let me put the lathe in the living room.

For historical reference purposes, what does an HLV sell for these days?

A cigar.

I think the Brothers were responding to customer experiences. Maybe their own because they obviously tested their products.

Another factor could be people wanting to cut larger work on the machine.
I do wonder about them testing products.

I question the rigidity theory of the wider bed. Im all for a wider bed, but I’m curious how on their quest to a more rigid machine they missed the introduction of lack of rigidity and the joys of turning turning between centers on this lathe. One must fully extend the tailstock quill so you can avoid colliding the apron to the tailstock.

If you don’t invest in a CNC long nose center, work between centers on these machines is not pleasant.

Last edited:

Back