What's new
What's new

How to pace prospecting to match shop capacity?

I am currently running a 4 hour and 20 minute cycle part in my Brother. Unfortunately, that's for one part. It's a copper part that is like 98% 3D surfacing. I had planned on making a "4-up" tombstone for it, but the calculations for the toolpaths take like 3 days even when programming just one part - so I haven't had time to go from one part to four. I have a pretty good computer and before I had my own shop I was a mold maker.
What kind of 3D toolpaths are you using? The older ones or the new ones?
I'm programming a lot of 3d surfacing in Mastercam (we're doing a lot of molds) and if it takes more than 15 mins it's pretty long. And my Computer has a 10 year old i7 CPU, so not exactly cutting edge tech.

Up your prices. Get less work, make more $ and deliver on time.
Hi Guys,

Background:

I have owned my own shop since 2018 and worked there nights and weekends up until about the end of October 2022. I am now full time. I have a business partner who is an engineer turned salesman. He and I met while working for an aerospace company years ago. He does know some stuff, certainly more than most salesman. He can even do a little programming / setup. Also good as an operator in a pinch.

I am the machinist. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I never liked sitting at my desk all the time so I ended up on this side of the industry about 12 or 13 years ago. I'm not really good at sales, but I'm noticing a trend that I'm not a fan of and I wanted to reach out to some people who have more experience running their own shop (I wish I had a local mentor).

The Issue:

The trend I'm noticing is that we get a lot of work - we struggle to hit our deliveries (mostly on "one-offs") and then there is a slow down while we look for more work. Sometimes we have to take the jobs nobody else wants just because we need money.

My partner feels like we need to finish what we're working on so that we keep our customers happy. I want him to look for work always and quote jobs we want but can't get to with longer leads times. The lead times will always be different based on capacity. I feel like if we are constantly quoting and looking for work we will be able to better pick and choose what we work on. He says that if he quotes longer lead times we might never hear from a customer again.

I know this is just us learning but I wanted to know if anyone else out there is willing to share what their strategies are for this sort of thing. I know it's probably tough to balance even when you have a good system.

I had that same issue with an old business. I would get real busy with work, but during that time I wasn't selling my services and getting more work...and then I would finish those jobs, have nothing lined up and end up desperate for work to pay the bills, take on jobs I didn't really want, but couldn't say no to, and end up not having time to get the type of work I really wanted. Its a vicious cycle.

What's your partner doing while your in the shop? If he isn't always out getting sales, maybe he can learn programing and take over the easy stuff, to free you up for the more complex things. Also may want to consider charging more, so same time in shop with but with less work, getting things out in time you make the same $.

What kind of 3D toolpaths are you using? The older ones or the new ones?
I'm programming a lot of 3d surfacing in Mastercam (we're doing a lot of molds) and if it takes more than 15 mins it's pretty long. And my Computer has a 10 year old i7 CPU, so not exactly cutting edge tech.

I'm using all new ones. Mostly waterline and raster for finishing and optirough to roughing. There are a lot of small pockets. I'm having to go down to .015" BEM with 5X reach. I'm using stock models and rest machining. That is what takes so long to calculate. If there's a better way, my ears are open.

I have one flow line tool path (an oldie), but that is just the tabbing off part of my program at the end.

Hi Guys,

Background:

I have owned my own shop since 2018 and worked there nights and weekends up until about the end of October 2022. I am now full time. I have a business partner who is an engineer turned salesman. He and I met while working for an aerospace company years ago. He does know some stuff, certainly more than most salesman. He can even do a little programming / setup. Also good as an operator in a pinch.

I am the machinist. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I never liked sitting at my desk all the time so I ended up on this side of the industry about 12 or 13 years ago. I'm not really good at sales, but I'm noticing a trend that I'm not a fan of and I wanted to reach out to some people who have more experience running their own shop (I wish I had a local mentor).

The Issue:

The trend I'm noticing is that we get a lot of work - we struggle to hit our deliveries (mostly on "one-offs") and then there is a slow down while we look for more work. Sometimes we have to take the jobs nobody else wants just because we need money.

My partner feels like we need to finish what we're working on so that we keep our customers happy. I want him to look for work always and quote jobs we want but can't get to with longer leads times. The lead times will always be different based on capacity. I feel like if we are constantly quoting and looking for work we will be able to better pick and choose what we work on. He says that if he quotes longer lead times we might never hear from a customer again.

I know this is just us learning but I wanted to know if anyone else out there is willing to share what their strategies are for this sort of thing. I know it's probably tough to balance even when you have a good system.
Welcome to job shop life, most shops got old doing same way, and everyday that goes on
getting harder, foreign competition, slow economy, new technologies.
my friends depend of sub-boing job shops, 90 days pay, always fighting to pay rent and
workers salaries, and most bought their houses when worked for other companies, no vacations
as we say we bought a job, it helps making your own product, I never open to do a job shop.
reason being i was more production guy than a thenth machinist, making your own its lots of
fun, also i bought my house when was employee, even when i was doing good making money hard
to buy property because one week came 10k but next week may be $10 bucks and bank want to
see your history pay stubs, not trying to dicouraged you but seems to me when young work for
established company, so you can get good social security retierment than later go on your own
job shop is brutal no easy way to put it.

So coming from a similar environment, not as owner but low level management. Sales having a good knowledge of workload is very important. Don’t start seeking work when you have about run out of work. Once you’re down to 3 weeks of work, start seeking work to turn around in 4. I know exactly how you feel especially when you get one big job for one customer. You get tied down on one big job for a month and because you’ve been hard at it the whole time you lose sight of what’s on the other side. Having a manager who’s on top of workload and a sales guy who is willing to work with the shop instead of just cram in more sales is vital.

Even then, it wouldn’t be perfect because you don’t know what will go wrong. Or right. Or left. 😂

I'm using all new ones. Mostly waterline and raster for finishing and optirough to roughing. There are a lot of small pockets. I'm having to go down to .015" BEM with 5X reach. I'm using stock models and rest machining. That is what takes so long to calculate. If there's a better way, my ears are open.

I have one flow line tool path (an oldie), but that is just the tabbing off part of my program at the end.
That's pretty much the same workflow I'm doing in Mastercam. You could play with the tolerances in stock models (I use 0.10mm for roughing and 0.06mm for finishing).

What CPU do you have? There is a benchmark thread in the emastercam forums if you want to compare your computer (https://www.emastercam.com/forums/topic/95519-benchmark-30/)

@Rcgiovannani
I was in the same predicament for a while. I do a lot of one off work.
Here's how I handled it.
When quoting, I made a hard copy list of tooling/raw materials/fixtures/etc the job would need.
The biggest delay was raw materials. So I made sure I kept a hard copy of the quote clipped to the prints.
The minute the PO came, a PO was fired off to the materials supplier.
The CAM got fired up, fixtures made, tooling laid out.
Then the processing started once the material arrived.

It took me a little while to get this momentum going. However a buddy was doing this in his shop and it served him well. Worked good for me, too.

That's pretty much the same workflow I'm doing in Mastercam. You could play with the tolerances in stock models (I use 0.10mm for roughing and 0.06mm for finishing).

What CPU do you have? There is a benchmark thread in the emastercam forums if you want to compare your computer (https://www.emastercam.com/forums/topic/95519-benchmark-30/)

What parameters do you use under the "Stock" tab for "Adjustments to remaining stock:" for all your rest machining tool paths? I am using tighter tolerances than you on the actual stock model, but I do that to avoid re-cutting certain areas. Maybe my tolerances are wrong here:

1690663625174.png

Back