What's new
What's new

Is a tip to another shop's workers appropriate for end of major job?

"No good deed goes unpunished" comes to mind.

If you're too generous, you'll make their boss look bad. If you're not generous enough, you'll make yourself look bad.

Gotta be fair and include everyone. But if you include someone who didn't even work on the project, others will be resentful.

Then there's potential legal issues with regards to kickbacks and taxes.

Taco truck sounds pretty good at this point. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think a pizza party or taco's or something is all you need to do. If you still feel indebted by chrismas send cookies or something. The chain of command (for lack of a better term) should be respected. The company that pays them is responsible for rewarding or issuing them bonuses. If someone tried to hand one of mine cash or gift cards I'd run them out. They don't work for you. For better or worse I have a paternal view of my people and I always told my kids not to take candy from strangers.

If you're going to do food, do good food.

Food is a great way to show appreciation, and I utilize it often. But it's not worth saving a hundo on mediocre food. Ever...
What is "good food"? Good food to you is probably gross to me, and what I like is probably gross to you. On multiple occasions, I've had lunch in my car while some caterer was setting up a fancy spread that management thought was a good way to say thank you.

Cash or nothing. And if it's other people's employees, then it's nothing.

What is "good food"? Good food to you is probably gross to me, and what I like is probably gross to you. On multiple occasions, I've had lunch in my car while some caterer was setting up a fancy spread that management thought was a good way to say thank you.

Cash or nothing. And if it's other people's employees, then it's nothing.
You seem fun... I bet you're a hoot at the shop party

Management at a couple, owner now. I think people value my authenticity. If that costs me some work from a sensitive Sally so be it. I don’t trust men who claim no vices.

I've got plenty of vices.

Staring at (semi) naked women while drinking in some sleazy bar isn't one of them. Nor is PAYING for sex.

Ever.

PDW

Management at a couple, owner now. I think people value my authenticity. If that costs me some work from a sensitive Sally so be it. I don’t trust men who claim no vices.
To each his own.

I would imagine you would not lose business for failing to talking about strip clubs and substance abuse, the opposite likely isn't true.

Maybe my vice is making more money from people who who be offended by the thought of me treating my team to lap dances for a job well done. That or a nice steak and scotch.

Maybe my vice is making more money from people who who be offended by the thought of me treating my team to lap dances for a job well done. That or a nice steak and scotch.
You could count me 100% out on strip clubs, scotch and steaks. Cigars too (since that would come up some time during your night). If I were an employee, I wouldn't go. I wouldn't care but, I also wouldn't participate. As long as you're okay with that...

I was awarded a $400 attaboy at work, through a program the company paid for. It included pages and pages of restaurants and stores that I didn't shop at, travel credits for places I would never go, hotels I would never use, etc. Absolutely nothing from like a Home Depot or Lowes to be found. Months later, I had to pick something so I took a gift card to Bed Bath & Beyond and bought a child seat with the money. Otherwise that too would have been a complete waste as I've never set foot in the place on my own.

You could count me 100% out on strip clubs, scotch and steaks. Cigars too (since that would come up some time during your night). If I were an employee, I wouldn't go. I wouldn't care but, I also wouldn't participate. As long as you're okay with that...
Dad hired a sales manager from a big name carbide company.
He was very used to "strip clubs, scotch and steaks".
To the tune of $10,000 per month on the personal expense account.
That is serious money spent on girls who will forget your face and name in a hour or so.

That said I will never forget my first trip to a strip club in Canada courtesy of a vendor when I was young.
(they take it all off up there)
OMG to a 20 something kid so I do get the impact it can have.
Make no doubt it hit me with a big hammer. Vendor dropped $200 at the door guy to get us in faster.

I am now getting old so the first question in a strip club is "How much are the pool tables per game".
Scenery is nice here and let us play.

Last edited:
Dad hired a sales manager from a big name carbide company.
He was very used to "strip clubs, scotch and steaks".
To the tune of $10,000 per month on the personal expense account.
That is serious money spent on girls who will forget your face and name in a hour or so.
Hi Bob, please check your PM's. I sent you a message asking about some carbide pieces. Thanks.

If anyone tried to take me to a strip club as payment, or for any reason, they would lose me as a vendor or client forever. I can't understand how anyone would think that is acceptable.

I've taken people to strip clubs, have been taken to strip clubs. Nobody has ever objected, I've never objected.

Now we're talking about Orange County strip clubs in the 90's and 2000's when the girls in the clubs were absolutely outstanding.

Your in PA I don't think I would go to strip clubs there either.
This. I would NOT be happy to get offered a paid visit to a strip club, let alone money to pay for 'personal services' from the entertainers.

PDW

They have strip clubs in Tasmania? If so I need to visit.

That said I will never forget my first trip to a strip club in Canada courtesy of a vendor when I was young.

By far the best strip clubs I've been to are in Montreal. Unbelievable. Then there's the French Canadian accent. Luckily I'd been around the block a few times when I went to Montreal so was quite controlled.

If I'd been 20 I would have had a blast in the strip clubs there. Would probably still be in the club.

As an employee I’ve been handed $100 for punching out a job at 3am.
I don’t think it was a problem.
Felt nice to be appreciated

If it was a regular hours job, or a long project. “Normal” work” likely inappropriate unless it’s given to all.

Back