What's new
What's new

Lightning killed my Hurco VMX

doug925

Titanium
On Thursday night, North Houston had a nasty thunderstorm. The winds were gusting to 70+mph (trees down everywhere in Spring) and constant lightning.......
And I didn't turn off the Hurco at the main switch on the back of the control box
I didn't know we were getting any rain that night.

Long story short, a nearby lightning strike killed the following:
Spindle Drive (probably)
X,Y,Z,A drive amps (definitely)
Who knows what else? Power Supply??

This is going to cost $10K min, and possibly as much as $30K IF I have to get all new stuff, and have Hurco take care of the drive amp 'parameters'
I've replaced Milltronics and Haas drive amps before, and they are plug & play.
Not so much Hurco, according to the tech.

Another issue is the machine's value:
non working = part out
Working = $20-25K as it has fairly low hours, table is pristine, and ran circles around my VF4.

Moral of the story:
1) have insurance to cover lightning strikes
2) turn the main switch off, even though the Windows based control take 5 minutes to boot up.
Doug.

That's awful to hear, none of your insurances cover this?

I've been told lightning strikes are the worst, as they get everything. Which it seems like this did :(
My parents had an outdoor light fixture hit by transient lightning and boy did it mess with all kinds of shit lol...I'm a ham operator with a decent collection of drake and Collins stuff, at the mere mention of thunder in the forecast the plugs are pulled and antennas disconnected.

Update:
We definitely lost (fried) a contact block for the wye, and at least the A & X axis.
Once we get the contact block installed the rest of the drive & spindle amps can be checked.
FYI: I purchased 2 drive amps and the contact block through Radwell. This is my first time dealing with them, and it looks promising. I should have the parts UPS Red on Monday morning.

I will update again.

Doug.

I purchased 2 drive amps and the contact block through Radwell. This is my first time dealing with them, and it looks promising.

I bought a NOS Baldor motor from them in a pinch to put a piece of equipment back together a couple years ago. They got it right out to me and it was well packed in expanding foam in a heavy box. I'd buy from them again without thought.

Update:
We definitely lost (fried) a contact block for the wye, and at least the A & X axis.
Once we get the contact block installed the rest of the drive & spindle amps can be checked.
FYI: I purchased 2 drive amps and the contact block through Radwell. This is my first time dealing with them, and it looks promising. I should have the parts UPS Red on Monday morning.

I will update again.

Doug.
And you get free candy in the box. Never had issue with anything from them.
Here’s to hoping just the block.

Do some board level inspection and see, how far overvoltage has progressed into the servo&spindle drives.
AC/VFD drive ususal layout: Fuse, Big rectifier, DC stage with lots of caps and AC converter that runs on DC stage.
With a bit of luck, only rectifiers/diodes or fuses got blown, a few $ each, hard to imagine the voltage lasted long enough to charge DC stage caps to death.

My condolences to Doug, this is one of my worst fears as a small shop owner that cnc is only 15% of my business
Having older machines that don't run every day, I have been in the habit of turning power off at the main breakers a the machine. PC cable is turned off after each use.
I'm paranoid when I hear a rumble of thunder and just shut down.
The spike from when an idiot hits a telephone pole is something I can't control.
I had read this post over the weekend and we had some nasty lighting last night, was slightly nervous about a startup this morning, but no issues.
I had looked into adding insurance for my machines years ago, but the cost and implied proof of current condition requirement changed my mind.

Anyone had lighting/spike jump across a turned off machine breaker?

Ouch. Hopefully you get back up and running soon.

Makes me want to check my insurance for lightning coverage.

Update:
We had to replace the (more expensive) Z axis card, and Radwell came through again.

The spindle drive did not light up, but it was noted that a 5A fuse inside the spindle drive amp was blown. (So, I didn't have to go all Seppuku on myself tonight.)

We need to get the drive amp parameters from Hurco, and get them input.
Hopefully 🙏 that will get her up and running.

Doug.

The spindle drive was fine, after 1 ($0.99) fuse.
The Y,Z, & A drive amps were replaced, and needed to have (literally) 600 parameters input into each drive amp.
Fortunately, Tom & Mike @ Texas CNC Express had a trick to download the parameters from the factory, X axis drive amp.
They uploaded all of them, and only had to change a few (more than a few, actually) parameters to fit the drive amp function.

The machine is buttoned up, and doing a burn in test right now. It has been running the last program run (the day prior to the lightning strike) for the last 3 hours. (G54 Z = +8.000" & M99 at the end.)
Tomorrow I will run some test cuts to make sure it still cuts round AF, taps at the correct RPM for the lead. (spindle is really a 1.1:1 ratio, and sometimes that gets changed when Z axis maintenance is performed on the machine.)

Anyway, I haven't received the invoice for the service, but I don't expect it to be that bad.
Texas CNC Express (in Tomball, TX.) is honest and they know what they are doing. (shameless plug for them!)

Most of the cost was the Contact block @ $1K, Y & A drive amps @ $1400 ea, and the Z axis amp @ $ 2100.00
Figure $250-350 for UPS Red on 2 pkgs.....

I think we will just be around $8-10K.

So much cheaper than a new Doosan @ $150-200K for a 25x40" cat40.

Doug.

Seen lightning cost big bucks at an old workplace
My main breaker to the shop is off every night or the second I hear thunder. Wife hears thunder or sees nasty clouds and she calls me.
Very paranoid about this.

Back