What's new
What's new

Machining and heat treating

ryanyates28

Plastic
Hi
I'm relatively new to heat treating , can someone tell me if I used pre heat treated 4140 to make a revolver frame, cylinder,barrel, would it lose its temper or hardness during machining and would I need to treat it again after
Thanks

No hard is hard if it's thru hardened

Unless you some how manage to raise its temp to like 1000 degrees machining it and hold it there abit.

No hard is hard if it's thru hardened

Unless you some how manage to raise its temp to like 1000 degrees machining it and hold it there abit.
Myrmidon thank you for your reply
so if I use cooling / cutting fluid the temper and the hardness should remain the same

I make critical gun parts day in and day out outa 4140HT.......................it's basically the industry standard.
David n do you do any tempering or treating after machining them also does machining cause any stress to get steel thanks

nope....................unless the part calls for a hardness greater then the standard 28-32 RC. Then is goes out for heat treat. Has nothing to do with the machining process.................if you are drastically changing the HT properties in how you machine the part, you shouldn't be making gun parts or any parts for that matter..............

• Haha
Reactions: Ox
nope....................unless the part calls for a hardness greater then the standard 28-32 RC. Then is goes out for heat treat. Has nothing to do with the machining process.................if you are drastically changing the HT properties in how you machine the part, you shouldn't be making gun parts or any parts for that matter..............
David n that's great thank you 👍

Back