What's new
What's new

Making new draw bar

I have a question, do you ever blue or blacken steel parts like this drawbar? These oxides don't change the dimensions significantly and do add some corrosion protection or at least make the corrosion less evident.
Oh, be honest and tell it all, it makes good parts look like the proverbial dog's bollocks, and less than perfect ones get a pass grade anyway..

Thanks for the chemistry oxidation refreshment, I so much want to understand it.

Oh, be honest and tell it all, it makes good parts look like the proverbial dog's bollocks, and less than perfect ones get a pass grade anyway.
The original drawbar is blued or black oxide finished. So it makes sense for a replacement part to match.

The original drawbar is blued or black oxide finished. So it makes sense for a replacement part to match.
Never mind, my comment was just a jokeful one. Possibly I will user special markings for that a next time.

The newer draw bar that was in the high speed head was indeed blued.
However the draw bar that I removed from my “precision boring head” as a sample for the female end was finished as bright bare steel.
Cheers Ross

Back