What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 copy issues

Do you know what STUCK means ??
Cold welded. There is pleanty of horror atories on the matter to keep one awake at night.
I have got a lovely old lathe which which I'm restoring. All went well so far but the chuck release nut (an American short taper or the like) didn't budge at first try. I let it be for now but will have to return to it, fingers crossed.

I managed today to get the adapter out.
As suggested I made a nut which fits the adapter and then I welded a plug at one of its ends.
Then I put the nut on the adapter and i supported the spindle with two rods. Using a long bar I smacked the nut from above for 3-4 times with a hammer and the adapter fell down.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Still a lot of work with this old mill :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.16.06 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.16.06 (1).jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 7
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.16.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.16.06.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 7
I managed today to get the adapter out.
As suggested I made a nut which fits the adapter and then I welded a plug at one of its ends.
Then I put the nut on the adapter and i supported the spindle with two rods. Using a long bar I smacked the nut from above for 3-4 times with a hammer and the adapter fell down.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Still a lot of work with this old mill :)
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer. Glad your sorted, looks like you've a major refurbishment on your hands with that machine and plenty of drama ahead.
Cheers Adrian

Back